DJI mavic mini 2

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: DJI mavic mini 2

Post by k_fergie »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:26 pm
k_fergie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 pm
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm Quick point - Its only illegal to take off or land in a wilderness area. Its NOT illegal to fly over wilderness. That said, avoid flying around people and all that good stuff.

I fly mine often on 13ers, assuming the weather is fine and there are no people around. I have a boatload of great footage, much of it sells very well for me on stock sites. I'd be damned if I ever posted a second of it here though. The vitriol towards drones, even if flown legally and respectfully, is off the charts.
IDK where people seem to get the idea that you can fly over Wilderness areas as long as you don't take off/land in them, not really true from what I've seen. According to the USDA, "Do not fly over congressionally designated wilderness areas or primitive areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 846515.pdf
What you cited isn't a law, its a recommendation

However, your own link has the actual rule (see bottom). First pic is a very gray area but legal (in my opinion and from everything I've read on drone laws which is quite extensive) flight. Launch from outside a boundary, even if by a few feet. Fly over a wilderness and back. Dumb? Maybe. Annoying to people? Sure, if there are people around. I wouldn't ever recommend someone to fly off any 14er, just too crowded. However, this example flight doesn't meet the criteria in the bottom pic for what is not allowed. Barely.

I know I'm kicking the hornet's nest a bit here by bucking the forum consensus on drones. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just putting forth my research as someone who has been flying drones for years.

Are they not both valid rules if they are in the exact same document? You are just picking which one you want to follow. There aren't many laws specific to drones, which is a problem because it is such a grey area like you mentioned. The only single federal law I found basically just allows the FAA to set the rules and regulations for UAS (49 USC 44809: Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft), so then deferring to the FAA and other bodies gets us back to the document I provided
I thought, I taught, I wrought
jlipold
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: DJI mavic mini 2

Post by jlipold »

Damn y'all hate these things. Talking about it ruining solitude as if you ever get solitude on a 14er in the summer anyways