Black Diamond Initiates Recall for PIEPS DSP Avalanche Transceivers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Black Diamond Initiates Recall for PIEPS DSP Avalanche Transceivers

Post by CaptCO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Passing this on

https://gearjunkie.com/black-diamond-pieps-dsp-recall

“ The brand received numerous reports from users that its PIEPS DSP avalanche transceivers were faulty. Specifically, the switch that turns on the transceiver’s signal can slide out of transceiving mode without warning. The issue lies with the slide lock mechanism, which can wear down and slide in and out of transceiving mode.

One pro skier, Nick McNutt, was caught in an avalanche in March 2020 and had been using a PIEPS DSP beacon. He was buried for around 5 minutes. He and several other skiers who had been at the scene spoke out on social media about the transceiver issues.”
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
curt86iroc
14ers: 14

Re: Black Diamond Initiates Recall for PIEPS DSP Avalanche Transceivers

Post by curt86iroc » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 pm

FYI - This is a real issue. We've had 3 or 4 switches break on our sports and pros that allow the switch to move between search and transmit without the detent depressed. hopefully, this becomes available in the US sooner rather than later.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:57 pm

curt86iroc wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 pm
FYI - This is a real issue. We've had 3 or 4 switches break on our sports and pros that allow the switch to move between search and transmit without the detent depressed. hopefully, this becomes available in the US sooner rather than later.
Appreciate you confirming this is a legitimate issue,

(Ski/snowboard rookie)
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
curt86iroc
14ers: 14

Post by curt86iroc » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:00 pm

sorry, let me restate. this is a prevalent issue, more so that you probably realize. out of 30 or so transceivers, we've had 3 or 4 detents break. that's not a good %.
daway8
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 79 21
Trip Reports (49)

Post by daway8 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Good to know. Mine is a Black Diamond Recon BT - I just double checked it to make sure it doesn't have the same issue (and also field tested it earlier this week to double check its range).

Always good to check your safety gear from time to time to make sure it's doing its job.

Thanks for the heads up.
Bean
14ers: 43 43 10
13ers: 8 3
Trip Reports (28)

Post by Bean » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:29 pm

curt86iroc wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 pm
BD is in the process of getting a formal recall done (I think - details aren't clear). And if you contact them you can get a free replacement right now (well, in 3 months - they're a little backlogged).

And this only affects the previous generation, the newest (anything with BT in the name) has a redesigned lock that is much more confidence-inspiring.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com