Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you hike the Manitou Incline? What's your time (from bottom to top step)?

5+ a week
2%
1-2 a week
7%
1-2 a month
3%
Handful times a year
32%
sub-30 minutes
10%
30-35 minutes
11%
36-40 minutes
14%
41-45 minutes
5%
46-50 minutes
4%
51-59 minutes
7%
1hr +
4%

Total votes: 91
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Post by d_baker »

The recent thread on training for peaks, and some comments on a conditions report (between myself and headsizeburrito) has me wondering about how many people from this forum, Co Spgs area residents in particular, hike the Manitou Incline.
To me, it's a great workout and certainly prepares the legs and lungs for hiking up peaks. Coming down the incline also helps w/downhill legs.

I've been hiking the incline for about 15+ years, off and on.
I've been more consistent in the last couple of years; that is whenever I'm not on a project out of town/state somewhere. This winter, my average is 10-15 minutes slower than I was in winter 18/19, but I'm getting better on my times/conditioning and I'm finally back at a place where I can make up time on my ascent (e.g., skipping steps, less rest steps, pushing just a little bit harder, etc.).

I know there are several members on here that are regulars (aholle & warg come to mind), and I consider myself a winter regular because that's the time of year work is slow for me (such as now).
But how many others on here are regulars, semi-regs, or the occasional incliner?

This is a two part poll with how often and what your time range is. I wish I could break the poll Q&A up a little to make it appear friendlier to the eye.
Just curious.

Thanks for playing along...
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Post by climbingcue »

I have only done the incline once, and it was 34 minutes. I would like to go back and do it in less than 30 minutes. Problem is I have no reason to every go close to that area, and it is not worth the trip just to do it. I avoid all the the front range as much as possible. So if I ever happen to end up in the area again, I will make the time to test out what I can do.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I used to do it frequently. 25 to 30 minutes was normal. Sure I’m much slower now. It was always fun to go early in the morning after snow and get the first tracks up.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

I hiked it once, sometime back in 2016. Don't recall my exact time, just that I didn't realize how developed it was and was wearing/carrying far too much stuff. Now, there's not much reason for me to go down there when Mt Morrison and Mt Falcon are so much closer.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

I havent hiked the incline yet, maybe someday
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

I use it as a training hike in winter when the weather above treeline isn't cooperating. I always do it with a full pack (snowshoes, etc). and climb it twice in a row. My best time is 35 minutes 35 seconds, but I consider anything under 40 minutes respectable.
It's a mountain: get over it.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I've lived in the springs 3.5 years and have only gone up the incline 3x total (twice with friends that were visiting from out of town, and once with you Baker). It just doesn't interest me. I'd rather deadlift or hike anything else.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

angry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 am I've lived in the springs 3.5 years and have only gone up the incline 3x total (twice with friends that were visiting from out of town, and once with you Baker). It just doesn't interest me. I'd rather deadlift or hike anything else.
I almost added the Angry option in the poll (i.e., f**k that incline!), but decided not to.
I thought that day probably ranked as one of your best hiking days, EVER, but guess not. Maybe our Sneffels attempt takes that spot? Lol
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

FTS.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I've never done the incline before but based on the fact that it takes me about 5 seconds to run from my basement to the main level, I'm going to guess it'd take me about 16 minutes and 40 seconds to do the incline.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i did it once and do not understand the appeal in the slightest. probably worth another shot
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:39 pm I've never done the incline before but based on the fact that it takes me about 5 seconds to run from my basement to the main level, I'm going to guess it'd take me about 16 minutes and 40 seconds to do the incline.
You would rule the FKT with that time.
stephakett wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:54 pm i did it once and do not understand the appeal in the slightest. probably worth another shot
It can be a love/hate for sure.
For those of us that do it regularly, it's more of an addiction!

I live close enough to walk to it, which adds 2+ miles (RT) to my outing, but I don't have to worry about parking or any type of commute.