Winter Hiking Safety Tips

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
7Below
14ers: 37 4
13ers: 24 1

Re: Winter Hiking Safety Tips

Post by 7Below » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Gandalf69 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 am
If you need practice hiking in cold, ski areas have uphill access before the lifts open. I recommend bringing a snowboard or ski's to get down quickly. I go often before work, of course its not "14er" hiking but its still hiking.
Most of those ski areas prohibit boot packing.
druid2112
14ers: 46 6
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Winter Hiking Safety Tips

Post by druid2112 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 am

From somebody who does a lot of these alone, even (although fewer) in winter....

Carrying a bunch of gear sucks, no doubt. It's heavy. It's makes it harder to access the one thing you need while standing on a windy ridge.

But - my motto is, I have to be prepared to spend the night on the side of the mountain. It's certainly easier to imagine pulling that off in summer, harder to feel like I could pull it off in winter. But I gotta give myself at least a fighting chance.

Reading a recent, graphic trip report, I was reminded how quickly things can go south owing to something as common as postholing gone awry. A couple winters ago, high on the final pitch of Blanca in the cold and wind, alone, all I could think of was, "wow, it'd be easy to misstep on one of these trap-door snow patches in the talus and tear an ACL or break an ankle. And then?" It certainly wasn't the first time I'd had that thought.

So, perhaps it was already in here somewhere and I missed it scanning the posts, but it's my opinion one should have a bivy sack, and extra extra extra.... stuff. You build your own list. Pretty much every time I go out there, I come home (thankfully) and unpack a a whole bunch of items from by pack that I never used. All that extra weight. And I'll continue doing it, every time.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel