Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Post by two lunches »

i own the Columbia version of the Toundra- the Canuk, which i believe is now the Powderhouse. my feet have never gotten cold or wet, they're comfort rated to -65*, completely waterproof, work well with spikes and snowshoes.. but they do take a few miles break in period to loosen up in the ankle.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-powderh ... 010&pos=28

background: non-technical climber, usually use these with snowshoes
Last edited by two lunches on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

IF I were to buy insulated boots, I would get the keen revel Iv. only because I get 50% off. Check deals that may be available to you through outlets like AAC, CMC etc.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them.
Same. Great boots.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

HikerGuy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:56 am
Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them.
Same. Great boots.
According to this review, the Bridgers are even warmer than the Toundras (which is interesting because they are not nearly as bulky and I’ve taken the Toundras out in some pretty dang cold conditions)... https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... -insulated
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

+1 for Oboz 10" Bridger 400 g insulated.

They are my default winter/spring snow boots. In addition to your average winter ridge walk, they have worked well in my universal attachment crampons up Angel of Shavano, Holy Cross Couloir, Missouri N Face Couloir, Little Bear in April 2019, and Sneffels in May 2019. The pseudo heel welt keeps things in place. The only time I have been less than impressed at their waterproofing was when I spent 16+ hours in wet, wet spring snow up La Plata + Elbert & Co. last May, but I was due to reapply some DWR by then (2 years old).
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I recently started using Toasty Feet insoles which seem to help. Also, I think wearing gaiters help keep feet warm too.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Thanks, everyone. At this time I'm going with the Bridger 10" 400g.
Rudy can't fail.
elcap5
14ers: 53  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elcap5 »

Just FYI, the Bridger 10" is also one of the few insulated winter boots available in a "wide" EE size. Great for those with Sasquatch size feet, super comfortable.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

:-D
elcap5 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:26 pm Just FYI, the Bridger 10" is also one of the few insulated winter boots available in a "wide" EE size. Great for those with Sasquatch size feet, super comfortable.
Rudy can't fail.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

This is a bit prima donna and high maintenance but to keep feet happy have driving socks and climbing socks. When you get to the TH change out of your driving socks because feet sweat and now your driving socks are damp. You may not feel it, but they are. Then powder your feet with baby powder to keep them dry and change into your clean warm climbing socks. That's my trick, clean dry socks and baby powder.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

blazintoes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:59 am This is a bit prima donna and high maintenance but to keep feet happy have driving socks and climbing socks. When you get to the TH change out of your driving socks because feet sweat and now your driving socks are damp. You may not feel it, but they are. Then powder your feet with baby powder to keep them dry and change into your clean warm climbing socks. That's my trick, clean dry socks and baby powder.
This is great stuff. Totally makes sense.
Rudy can't fail.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Plugugly wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:14 am
blazintoes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:59 am This is a bit prima donna and high maintenance but to keep feet happy have driving socks and climbing socks. When you get to the TH change out of your driving socks because feet sweat and now your driving socks are damp. You may not feel it, but they are. Then powder your feet with baby powder to keep them dry and change into your clean warm climbing socks. That's my trick, clean dry socks and baby powder.
This is great stuff. Totally makes sense.
Great advise, I always have driving socks and then change into the climbing socks at the trailhead.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months