Interesting read about trekking poles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Interesting read about trekking poles

Post by denvermikey »

We get people from time to time ask if trekking poles are worth it. This article does a pretty good job of breaking down pros and cons.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2418032/t ... ket-newtab
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Interesting read about trekking poles

Post by Lioness »

denvermikey wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:21 pm We get people from time to time ask if trekking poles are worth it. This article does a pretty good job of breaking down pros and cons.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2418032/t ... ket-newtab
"So, in summary, you burn a little more energy with poles in exchange for better balance, less joint stress, faster speed, and less effort."

What he needed to add is "when used properly". Many of the people I see don't use them properly. Gripping the handles for support instead of putting the weight on the straps and pushing down. Not adjusting the length - generally too short.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I did not read the article, but I do have an opinion based on experience.

If you are leaning into the poles to support your knees, you will injure your rotator cuff.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

"People will say, 'Hey, you forgot your skis.'"

I'm a centennial finisher who used poles on about 90% of those summits and not once did I ever hear anyone say that.

And for me personally, I think I burn fewer calories with poles than without, just because they allow me to balance so much better it takes that load off my leg muscles. Kind of like the difference between doing a free-weight squat and doing a machine leg press (the latter is much easier).

Of course to each his own. Just try it out and go with what you prefer. If you are choosing not to use poles because you are afraid of what others think, that's really sad.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 am Anyone who was worth their salt athletically in grade school, probably appreciates them in their adulthood.
Grade school? Wut?
Make wilderness less accessible.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:41 pm I did not read the article, but I do have an opinion based on experience.

If you are leaning into the poles to support your knees, you will injure your rotator cuff.
That’s simply not true. Ever seen an XC ski race? They do specific workouts just to train the arms/lats to improve the pulling power and endurance. If your shoulders are strong, using poles and driving through with them does no harm, in fact it engages the core more because of the lat involvement.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

trekking poles for hiking != ski poles for XC skiing.

Rarely do I push off using trekking poles, as I cannot glide like I can with skis. My trekking poles are what: 110 - 115 cm length? Much shorter than XC ski poles.

I'll choke up on that length when going up hill. Trekking poles help with balance, and can take some weight off your legs, but it's simply the weight of your arms that are being supported by the trekking poles. If the point of trekking poles was to take the majority of the weight off your feet for locomotion, we'd all be hiking with crutches or in a manner that looks like quadrupeds.
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:12 am "People will say, 'Hey, you forgot your skis.'"

I'm a centennial finisher who used poles on about 90% of those summits and not once did I ever hear anyone say that.
The link in the article was to this story about "urban poling." I wouldn't be surprised if people said that to someone walking on that sidewalk with poles.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:12 am "People will say, 'Hey, you forgot your skis.'"

I actually just had someone comment today that "I admire people who are prepared for snow wherever you go". Basically, I was passing them on a day hike in the hills near my home and was using my trekking poles. I think he was trying to be funny. :)
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:32 am
Dave B wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:29 am
CaptCO wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 am Anyone who was worth their salt athletically in grade school, probably appreciates them in their adulthood.
Grade school? Wut?
Be nice. Those participation awards hold fond memories.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lioness wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm What he needed to add is "when used properly". Many of the people I see don't use them properly. Gripping the handles for support instead of putting the weight on the straps and pushing down. Not adjusting the length - generally too short.
After 30 years of using hiking poles, if someone were to tell me that I wasn't using my poles properly, I would probably poke the person in the nose with my pole. It's easier when you don't have your hand through the straps.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

rijaca wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 am
Lioness wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm What he needed to add is "when used properly". Many of the people I see don't use them properly. Gripping the handles for support instead of putting the weight on the straps and pushing down. Not adjusting the length - generally too short.
After 30 years of using hiking poles, if someone were to tell me that I wasn't using my poles properly, I would probably poke the person in the nose with my pole. It's easier when you don't have your hand through the straps.
I never use the straps either, but that comes more from tree skiing - using straps is a good way to break your wrist if you catch it on a branch or something. I guess I figure the same risk comes in hiking, catching it on a branch, root, stuck in between rocks, marmot hole, etc. I like the ease of release.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day