Boots/shoes with round tread on all of the bottom.

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Boots/shoes with round tread on all of the bottom.

Post by Lioness »

While hiking I saw foot prints of a boot/shoe with round treads on the whole bottom. The round treads were small.

Anyone know the shoe?

It looks like they could be comfortable.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Boots/shoes with round tread on all of the bottom.

Post by Conor »

Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 254 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

5.10 guide tennies have dot rubber. I love mine
guidetennies.JPG
guidetennies.JPG (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Dots like that seem to be a common tread pattern for approach shoes. For the OP, I am not sure I have ever heard someone describe a shoe as possibly comfortable based on the tread pattern. For on trail hiking and a lot of basic scrambling, I find trail runners to be a good choice. Approach shoes are generally better utilized for more serious scrambling. Their softer, more grippy rubber compound while good for scrambling isn't so good for tread life. Ultimately depends on your objective.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

Another boot tread question:

On my recent JMT hike, I kept seeing boot prints that had little paw prints inside the full boot prints.

At first, I thought they were some kind of dog shoes, but then I saw that they were always in a bigger boot print.

I don't think it was just one person either, since I saw them going in both directions often.

Anyone know what kind of boots those might be? It just kind of stuck with me sicne I kept seeing them for the whole trek.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

WanderingJim wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:41 pm Another boot tread question:

On my recent JMT hike, I kept seeing boot prints that had little paw prints inside the full boot prints.

At first, I thought they were some kind of dog shoes, but then I saw that they were always in a bigger boot print.

I don't think it was just one person either, since I saw them going in both directions often.

Anyone know what kind of boots those might be? It just kind of stuck with me sicne I kept seeing them for the whole trek.
All (?) Altras have this pattern. Super popular with thru hikers.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm All (?) Altras have this pattern. Super popular with thru hikers.
Ah, yes, that's the pattern I kept seeing. Thanks. Definitely seemed popular, but that could just be the unique pattern catching my eye the most.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

OP - dot rubber is nice for scrambling solid rock, but kind of sucks on looser trail, scree, or anything that isn't a solid surface really.
A comfortable hybrid might be the La Sportiva TX3, TX4, Guide Pro, or others. Really though, most low profile trail runners scramble quite well. More and more, I'm questioning the need for approach shoes.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Conor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:57 pm Like dot rubber?

http://www.tahoegripworks.com/resoles/5 ... oach-shoes
Thanks ... Smaller dots, deeper tread, no dimple.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm
WanderingJim wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:41 pm Another boot tread question:

All (?) Altras have this pattern. Super popular with thru hikers.
Those look nice also.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

download.jpg
download.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
La Sportiva Kaptivas have deep, kinda round lugs.
download.jpg
download.jpg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Old Brooks Pure Grit had small knobby tread.

Identifying trail runner treads is kind of a hobby of mine...

The JMT shoes are almost certainly Altra Lone Peaks. Great for long distance. Kind of crap for rocky steep stuff.