Gear that lasted all 58 (And What Didnt)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gear that lasted all 58 (And What Didnt)

Post by LoveThisSite »

I was clueless when I climbed my first 14er (Pikes Peak) - climbing with my ski jacket and all. After the first two or three 14ers, I started to get a clue. While perhaps not ALL 58 (or the first 58 unique), this gear has been bombshell - and I'm still using it today:
- REI backpack
- Salomon Quest boots
- Arcteryx pants
- Kahtoola microspikes
- inReach Explorer (now changed to inReach mini)

Gear that has NOT lasted very long -
- Hiking poles - I keep losing the snow baskets - very frustrating
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Well, my feet are still here! They've lasted the whole 58 with no returns to REI. ๐Ÿ˜
Generalcuz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Generalcuz »

This has been a great post. Thanks everyone. lol

It may not make the thread of fame, but the comments made for some good armchair relaxing.

See you all out there in the years ahead. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

What has stood the test of time: Hands down a pair of North Face green hiking pants that unzip at he knee into hiking shorts. I have had these since 2007 and they survived the majority of the 14er journey and all the 13er quest thus far. The zipper on the right pant leg is a bit of a pill at times and on more than a few occasions in October when the wind starts ripping and i'm desperately trying to get the pant leg to catch and zip, there have been moments of pure terror. The day that it doesn't catch might be the day i finally replace them.

What didn't last: Rosies Brewpub in Leadville. I had a chance encounter at Rosies with a then occasional hiking partner, who foolishly agreed to marry me many years later. We're just happy that it's still a brewery and that horseshoe footprint in the brewery remains so we can remember what it was like to be poor hiking bums reading the Roach bible at opposite ends of the shoe during the early stages of our 14ers quest.

This is one of the best topics on the forum I've seen in a long time. Thanks OP!

-Aaron