Plantar Fasciitis

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Post by nunns »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 am interesting, ...when you guys say "toe raises" are you referring to those foot/toe raises with your heel on the floor while sitting/standing or are you referring to calf raises on your toes?
or both?

Understand everyone is different, but if the former with heel on floor, did you find either one foot at a time or both at once worked better?
Toes on the stair, heel hanging off the stair. I do them with both legs at once. If you are really strong you could do them single leg, but again the range of motion is the most important thing. If your fascia is really inflamed right now, you may not be able to do them yet. These don't so much help with the healing as they prevent a recurrence.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I've had pretty severe PF years ago when I was jogging quite a bit.

I don't think there's a silver bullet, but treating it is fairly straight forward - rest it, increase stretching, golf balls/socks/other tools for additional stretching.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

rob runkle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:25 am Things that always worked at least a little bit:
1) I always landed on over the counter orthodics - powersteps or superfeet. The custom orthodics never worked for me as a runner, and usually ended up with hot spots. This was the #1 magic solution that helped me, but unfortunately, I became dependent on them. If I forgot my inserts, or wore shoes without them, the PF would flare up again.
2) massage your own feet, with hands, or rolling with a golf ball (there are some for plantar facitis)
3) I always hated wearing it, but a night splint helps from reinjuring when you step out of bed first thing in the morning
4) If not a night splint, then get out of bed very slowly, stretch gently and massage before getting out of bed
5) Calf stretches when the injury has subsided (inflammation reduced)
i think i'll take just about every one of these suggestions- thanks!!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Old Goat
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Old Goat »

Similar to you, a few years ago, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis (at age 66). Even though I had only minimal PF symptoms, the bottoms of my feet really hurt - especially the heel area. For months and months, I did all of the PF exercises and stretches and wore the PF arch supports with no relief. I finally gave up on the PF stuff and acknowledged the possibility of bone spurs. I bought the thick foot pads and cut out ALL of the rubber in the center of the heel pad, not just that tear-out, different color circle. That design gave me total relief within a couple of days. I'm now 70 years old. I hike 5-8 miles of flat and hills every day that it's not raining, and my feet feel great. When you get up in the morning and walk to the bathroom, if your feet don't feel too bad (i.e. the pain gets worse during the day), it's probably more of an issue with bone spurs than plantar fasciitis.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks everyone. This is all really helpful, much appreciated.

I've incorporated a lot these exercises now and fingers crossed that it will improve in coming weeks. I probably need to investigate new shoes too and will check out those trail Hoka's.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I discovered the Hoka One One brand and purchased a pair of Speedgoat 3 shoes a couple years back. Fantastic shoe. The most comfortable shoe I ever wore. The only drawback is the durability. The cushion is great for relatively straightforward hiking. Any trail, any surface type, but once you start side hilling, or heel steeping, that cushion will tear. I ripped the heel off of two pair of these after just about 10 hikes each. So my thoughts are that they are fantastic for approach and up to class 2 hikes, but once you start getting into any terrain that might strain your ankle, you will also destroy your shoes.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

First had it in the 1980's as a result of orthotics that were prescribed to help with my chondromalacia. Long story after that. I did get over it sans orthotics. About ten years ago I found orthotics made by an orthotist which I needed due to a sesamoid problem. Was leery of the orthotics because of the previous experiences. But these orthotics had the arch further back toward the heal allowing the correct fulcrum. So they helped the sesamoid condition and did not induce the PF. [Orthotics themselves are not necessarily the answer for PF no matter what the podiatrists say. I had three previous orthotics before going to the "orthotist".] Stretching is very important. Single leg toe raisers or up on two legs and down on one; on a stair step. Also every night I still "knead" the heal, repeatedly doing a massage that pushes out from the heal down toward the toe. If you already have actual "spurs" this may not be enough to get rid of them. But it can prevent them by breaking down scar tissue and keep it from balling up. The stretching is critical; hamstrings, calves, Achilles and the fascia are all interconnected. If one element along the leg is tight it will require the others to stretch more to achieve the same range of motion and may induce injuries, such as PF; or vice versa, the PF may contribute to calf or hamstring injuries. I have calf and hamstring issues as well, not surprisingly. I'm reluctant to recommend particular shoes. I have Hoka's that I use to work out in. I don't run in them though. They are too springy and that is not good for PF. I run in Asics using my orthotics.
OBC13
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colluvium »

Timely article posted at Rock and Ice:
https://rockandice.com/climbing-injury- ... fasciitis/

I haven't had to deal with pf, thankfully, but I did have success following his program for medial elbow tendinosis. Eventually. (owing to age of said elbow)
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

timely indeed, thanks

OBC13 - I've had some "bad" orthotics as well and struggle finding a pair that doesn't irritate something...
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:12 am Seems I've have gotten plantar fasciiatis over the lockdown along with a heel spur. ](*,)

I'm thinking it's linked to either worn orthotics in need of replacement or the change in my fitness activity and not going to the gym for 6 months, etc. so insofar as possible, I 've been trying to
replicate the same legwork in my apartment with some smaller weights/dumbbells.

Per my Dr. recommendation, I've been doing the suggested /normal calf stretches and massage, hamstring stretching, focus on insoles, etc. but hasn't really helped over the last month.
Most physical therapy places are still only doing remote work around here so that won't be of assistance for a while.
Not that internet solicitations of healthcare is ever recommended, but Googling resulted in the same stretches I'm doing.

Has anyone here gotten plantar fasciitis and fully recovered/fixed it without any invasive treatments/cortisone shots?

If so, would love to hear about your routine, exercises that worked for you (or didn't) and any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Oddly I find getting some excercise helps with plantar fasciitis. If you get exercise it helps keep things from getting tight. Basically all plantar fasciitis is it seems.But maybe run 1 mile not 10. It sounds like it's been caused by inactivity at least somewhat in your case. Not sure what the effect of the heel spur is on activity though. Doesn't sound good.

Even basic stretching in bed before you get up helped. Acupuncture points available online for free, maybe helped relax some. Can just rub them, might be better to visit acupuncturist if possible
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Had PF PT: tennis ball: roll gently underfoot 2 sets of ten reps each 2x a day every day. Along with a stretching of the tendon by flexing the foot, stretching it with a helping hand. 2x day, every day. Orthothics, especially if you have high arch. Acupuncture. Took 12 months. Still do the exercises. No issues thus far. Good luck with yours. Seek PT. They can set you up and keep you motivated.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Was going to add, one person I know who worked in PT, I think as a PT assistant, recommended rolling your foot on the tennis ball as well. And arch supports.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.