Ancient GPS - Garmin GPSmap 60CSx - cheap or free maps available?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Ancient GPS - Garmin GPSmap 60CSx - cheap or free maps available?

Post by timstich »

Well, I was given a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx by a friend and thing still works, so...

I know I need the software to load the maps, and it looks annoying to use somewhat. You get spoiled using things like Google maps where the whole world is your oyster and nothing need be downloaded. But my needs for this unit are meager and I just want to use it for locating exact entrances of slot canyons by entering coordinates and things like that. I also would like to download some detailed maps of local areas I explore.

Some of you have had this unit for years. Does one still need to fork over $70 to get a map for this thing? I may as well just toss the unit and buy a new one if so.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Ancient GPS - Garmin GPSmap 60CSx - cheap or free maps available?

Post by Conor »

I forked out 100 euros about 9 years ago to get "lifetime access" to the openmtbmaps ready to download to your gps. This includes any gps (driving - no one uses anymore, topo etc) map format. https://openmtbmap.org/

All the maps are free today, but it can take some work to get to your gps. All the information you need is on openstreetmaps wiki, although there may be some trickeration to get the openstreet map into the garmin format (or at least used to be), hence why I forked out dollars for Mathias' service. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Key benefits is you can get topo maps worldwide. I even did turn by turn directions on roads. Of course, my gaia gps on my phone I have the $20 "legacy" version that takes care of 99% of my needs worldwide.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

IMO just ditch the GPS and use your cell phone with downloaded topo maps

i personally use US Topo Maps for android
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

I've used Colorado, California, Utah and Alaska and it's served me well for the popular areas. Not sure how updated or accurate they all are.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.