4 Season tent for NH Trip

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 4 Season tent for NH Trip

Post by Conor »

EV2 and EV3 are no longer made last I checked. I think the downfall of the design is the lack of an external vestibule. I sold a NWT EV3 a year ago for like $300.
kevmonster
14ers: 32  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kevmonster »

I use the Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT. It's not the lightest or cheapest but the features really add up. The extended vestibule model gives you alot of sheltered space to move around and organize yourselves. The 3p is only slightly heavier than the 2p model but has significantly more room. Have only slept two people and a very large dog but a third would fit for sure.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Conor wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm EV2 and EV3 are no longer made last I checked. I think the downfall of the design is the lack of an external vestibule. I sold a NWT EV3 a year ago for like $300.
Bummer to hear they are no longer made. I still have an EV2 that has served me well all over the world. I think the design was excellent and the internal vestibule is useful, just takes some care to make it work. But that's the game when you are doing high altitude alpine style climbing.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've used the North Face Mountain 25 (2p) or VE 25 (3p heavier) and while heavy they are pretty strong tents.
Hilleberg makes some solid 4 season tents (1p,2p,3p) with a great combination of features and are doublewall but pitch together like a single wall.
Canadian_bass
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Canadian_bass »

Conor,

What did you think of the MH EV3? I found a used EV2 for a good price. They look bomber but cramped for sure, but the price is right.

The integrated vestibule design seems questionable. I'd rather cook on a more traditional external vestibule as I'd be worried about melting the floor. Thanks.
John619
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

When I did it in 1979 I used a North Face Sierra double A frame...