Rainfly Leaking - Love My Tent - Suggestions?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Rainfly Leaking - Love My Tent - Suggestions?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I have a 16 yo Marmot 3p 3 Season tent. Love the tent, but the rainfly seams are starting to crack, peel, and leak a little.

I've seen the videos and instructions on how to reseal the seams and to put on a new urethane coating.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone done all of this and is it worth the effort?
2. Did the repairs last?
3. What are the best seam sealants and urethane coatings?
4. Should I just buy a whole new tent? - It is 16 years old and gotten a lot of use

I contacted Marmot to see if I could buy a new rain fly, but it sounds doubtful since the tent is so old.

And FYI...I'm not cheap, can afford a new tent...am just really, really, attached to this tent (probably on an unhealthy level ;) ) and the rest of it is perfect.

- V
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Rainfly Leaking - Love My Tent - Suggestions?

Post by pvnisher »

Reverse the order of your questions:

4) Yes. Buy a new tent. You can find one that you'll like as much and will be more weatherproof, almost assuredly lighter, possibly easier to set up (maybe), probably smaller to pack, and possibly roomier (at least for the weight). What are the specific things you like so much? I'm tall and that limits my choices. If you're regular human sized then there's lots of really good options.
3) I've used McNetts to seal holes, rips, and a long weird "thinning/abrasion/stretch" leak where a pole was putting too much pressure on the tent (single wall).
2) Yes
1) I've done spot repairs, and also had a BD Firstlight tent, which shipped without being sealed at all and requires you to do it. In that case, absolutely worth the effort. There was a learning curve and by the end the seams were a lot better thanat the beginning.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I actually had this happen on a Marmot tent fly twice from a tent I originally purchased in ~2013. Both times they warrantied the rain fly, but the second time that model was out of stock so they credited me the full MSRP of the tent! I wondered if they seam sealer they were using wasn't the greatest having it start to peel off twice in just a few years times.

I have had good luck using Gear Aid's seam sealers (formerly McNett's). They have a few different products so you'll have to look which is best for your tent material.
Christian Nunes
14ers: 49 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Christian Nunes »

IHikeLikeAGirl,

I was mentally writing this exact post over the weekend while drops of water landed on my forehead during those soggy San Juan nights. I also have an old Marmot tent (Swallow 3-person, 3-season; purchased in 2006) that has been absolutely bomb-proof for me over the years, but is showing its age. Something new is breaking or wearing out each trip at this point: vestibule windows are now duct taped on, seams are leaking, the end of one of the pole segments sheared a bit and is now ready to slice an artery, etc.

Much like you, I'm vacillating between repairs or replacement. I do so dearly love this shelter that I think I'll take the sealant advice folks have provided and see if I can get a few more seasons out of it.

If all of this fails, do people have recommendations for durable ~3-person, ~3-season tents?
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

seam sealing works, is worth the time

cant speak for the urethane coating, however i wouldn't bother to repair fabric that old as its probably UV damaged

Tents have come a long way, if you are looking for a 3 season backpacking tent you should look at ultra light options, i have a double rainbow by tarptent. Lugging around 5+lb tents sucks

https://www.tarptent.com/tents/
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am

cant speak for the urethane coating, however i wouldn't bother to repair fabric that old as its probably UV damaged
+1

After 16 years of use, the fabric will be degraded by UV pretty bad
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you all for the advice...looks like I'm going tent shopping and may do the seam seal and keep this as a backup tent for...I don't know what.

Agreed, tents have come a long way since 2004. A lighter guy would be delightful and it'll have that "new tent" smell, which would also be delightful. :wink:
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 pm Agreed, tents have come a long way since 2004. A lighter guy would be delightful and it'll have that "new tent" smell, which would also be delightful. :wink:
Another recommendation would be a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3. Less than 4lbs and it's a fantastic tent.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

big agnes salt creek SL3. no question
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Christian Nunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:21 amMuch like you, I'm vacillating between repairs or replacement.
Never vacillate between repair and replacement. Fresh new gear makes everything better.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Nemo or Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. BA Copper Spur is nice, but way too heavy.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

I used Revivex Wash-In Waterproofing to rejuvenate the rain fly on a 10-year old tent, and it's still going strong five years later:
Revivex Waterproofing.JPG
Revivex Waterproofing.JPG (98.14 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner