Garmin For Dummies

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Garmin For Dummies

Post by Eli Watson »

Altitude High wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:07 pm So if I download a map from Alltrails or something similar, and my cellphone has GPS, can I pull up the topo and see a "you are here" arrow which will tell me where I am?

I don't have a Garmin, and would rather avoid plunking down $450 if I can do almost the same thing with my phone.
GPX Viewer app + .gpx file downloaded to your phone. Tap the folder icon to open and find the file in your Downloads. Tap the bullseye to locate your position.

Free :-D
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Thanks!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

justiner wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:31 pm
Alpine Guy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:12 pm Cougar, sorry if I'm pulling CaptCO's thread in a new direction but I think you said you use Basecamp to load GPX files to your device. When I've used Basecamp to load a 3rd party GPX file (not a track I created, e.g. from this site) it defaults to large flag icons at each waypoint which totally obscures the small screen on my etrex. Absolutely useless. Have you found a way around that, or does it just work right for you?
Many of the tracks you can download on here aren't tracks, but routes. You want to d/l the tracks, not routes:
FYI, the 14er (site) route descriptions have BOTH "track" and "route" GPX files. For the mobile apps, yes, they only have the route-based gpx files. In the next version of the apps, I'll try to get both gpx files out there for each route description.
elbertroutes.gif
elbertroutes.gif (68.52 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Justin's suggestion to use tracks instead of routes did solve my display problem, so there definitely is merit in having both. But I get what I need from the website.
Roll No Rocks
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've been using a loaner Garmin/Inreach Explorer+ (orange one) on the last few hikes-

Some notes, thoughts

* Messages sent are maybe 50:50 (unless sky is completely unimpeded, rare in the northeast), though it takes up to 20min to respond even on mountain top.
* Mapping is pretty good though a little confusing at times as the downloaded map seems to miss some features, for example my climb up Mt Marshall yesterday in the ADK did not show Avalanche Lake which made my navigating tricky since this is a peak with no marked
trail...
* Battery life good, I set it on 5min timeout when normal hiking or 30min timeout when I am using more frequently it setting waypoints, on the 20 mile hike It was at 79% when I was done.
** One issue is getting a fix - sometimes it takes 30min or more to get a fix and I am not in deep brush,forests. Anyone else have this problem? This is also an issue when setting waypoints - I get the "!" notification when the device can't get a fix.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Also, has anyone tried the Garmin 66i series? They claim it gets a better/faster fix and it's easier to use as a navigation unit vs. the Explorer+, holds more waypoints also.
see link below

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/623975
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Nyker - I haven't tried the 66, I use the inreach mini and have essentially the same experience as you describe. It doesn't punch through tress well at all (not a big problem in the western mountains). And while I have mine set to take a waypoint every 5min it can take upwards of 30min or more for my location to update on my phone app. For this reason I continue to carry an etrex30 as my primary nav device. The inreach is just for peace of mind.
Roll No Rocks
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Alec, you might also look into a piece of Garmin software called inReach Sync. I can't say whether there's a Mac version of it, but I use it on Windows. I rarely use my inReach for GPX tracks (because the inReach's screen resolution and GPS intervals are awful and slow, respectively; I mostly use my Fenix 5 for sticking to a track) but when I have done it I've uploaded the GPXes onto my account on inreach.garmin.com instead of via Garmin Connect. inReach Sync then syncs the GPX (and waypoints, maps, etc.) when you plug your inReach into your computer and run the software. Let me know if you'd like additional help.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

cougar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm I use Basecamp to load and dump out GPX
This is the same approach I've found to work. Download the file, move it to Basecamp, then move it to your device.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

So the attached pic shows one of the issues I was referring to when I mentioned the unit I was using doesn't always get a fix and sometimes the compass doesn't work even though the location is correct.
At this spot, the sky was clear of trees/peaks/walls, etc. I was heading North, note compass bearing is correct, but GPS says South ](*,)
Anyone else have this issue?
Attachments
xsIMG_20200925_144331.jpg
xsIMG_20200925_144331.jpg (199.06 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

nyker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:33 pm So the attached pic shows one of the issues I was referring to when I mentioned the unit I was using doesn't always get a fix and sometimes the compass doesn't work even though the location is correct.
At this spot, the sky was clear of trees/peaks/walls, etc. I was heading North, note compass bearing is correct, but GPS says South ](*,)
This might seem obvious, but do you calibrate your compass? I do every time I change the batteries or start a new hike. Just a habit. Otherwise, I get wonky readings.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

nyker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:33 pm So the attached pic shows one of the issues I was referring to when I mentioned the unit I was using doesn't always get a fix and sometimes the compass doesn't work even though the location is correct.
Do you have the same issue when you look at the InReach's "compass" screen? You're looking at the "location" screen, and I'm not sure if the direction under "course" is the direction in which the device is currently pointed. It may be the direction in you've recently been traveling.