Trapezius pain after heavy (unusual) loads...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Trapezius pain after heavy (unusual) loads...

Post by jchapell »

I really appreciate the thoughts from everyone, and there is some good stuff for me to check into (just skimming through upper and lower cross syndrome is...like a picture of me).
I have a pang to reiterate that we are pretty stinking lightweight *for this question*: last week, our family of 4 spent 3 days in the Winds at ~60lbs total split between my wife and I - and that's for 4 people, or ~15lbs per person for 3 days (and I'm a photographer, so that's after 8lbs of camera gear)...it'll be hard to cut weight from this family backpack paradigm (until our kids are old enough to consistently put down miles without us occasionally carrying them). The problem -and the pain you all are helping me out with- is when I'm carrying a pack AND carrying a kid on my shoulders, leading to the additional 35+ lb compression on my traps. Though CottonMtneering certainly knows a thing about long heavy carries that it's not exactly a great idea...just trying to minimize the zingers for this season, especially when I throw a kid up there.
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com