Back country hygiene

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Back country hygiene

Post by mtn_hound »

nunns wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 pm
mtree wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:54 pm Really? Now folks are asking when to wipe and what to wipe with? When to wash and how to wash? Geesh. And I thought I've heard everything. Now I see why folks who write for Yahoo or MSN continue to make a living.
The OP didn't ask that question. They asked for opinions on the general topic of back country hygiene.

Sean Nunn
No, that's pretty much exactly what they asked....

"Using towlettes for the bare necessities" = Maybe not asking when to wipe, but definitely asking what to wipe with
"Bathing with icy stream water" vs. "wimping out and paying for a shower at a campground" = Asking when to wash and how to wash
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I am not a clean freak, but use some common sense and dislike sticky hands (I'm a wimp).
I use wet wipes before and after cooking and eating.
I'm kind of a dirtbag in that I don't care much about showering on back country trips, but dislike sweat, so:
Have a small towel to towel off the sweat nightly when car camping prior to getting in a sleeping bag. When backpacking I use an old capilene shirt for this as it dries quickly.
On extended trips (I've been on several 3 to 4 week road trips), campground showers are great.
Especially in Canada where they were self serving and very clean.
Laundromats for clothing when necessary. Even with quick dry capilene and a good rinsing every day or 2, I like to actually wash clothes one in a while.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

It's a very fair topic. Taking care of yourself, and especially your feet, will carry you far (see what I did there?)

I'll generally have a dirty shirt for daytime use and a clean shirt for sleeping. When changing, use a wet (something, can be prepared baby wipe or just a cloth) and use the time to check for ticks, etc. Sunscreen and insect repellent mix with sweat and dust and it's like a layer cake after a while. Sometimes I'll keep a long sleeve shirt on even when hot just to avoid the sunscreen and insect repellent gunk. Easier to wash off salt than chemicals.

I pay extra attention to cleaning my neck since that area gets the sleeping bag super gunky after you know, years of not washing it. Easier to keep it clean than to wash a sleeping bag.

The clean shirt is then used as the dirty shirt for the hike out.
If it's a longish trip, then you wash the dirty one and let it dry while you hike. That's now your clean sleeping shirt.

Silky running shorts are better than undies, too, just FYI. Ha.

I don't mind a little dirt or ash on my hands and utensils, but have seen some serious E. Coli on trips because people don't wash their hands well.
Sanitizer is light, cheap, and good firestarter if necessary.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 pm Hygiene? What’s that?
it's what you say when you see Gene.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Hey, thanks for the tips and tricks. Some simple but effective ideas!
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

My wimping out is having a deducated pair of roos and socks just for sleeping. I sweat a lot, so i always wipe down my face and neck, but just use the cupped hands route. I don't believe in putting soap into streams/lakes/rivers, so i skip it and hit my hands with purell. I'm also ambidextrous so that helps for separation of church and state if you catch my drift, if i can remember which hand i use for which task.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Conor wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm I'm also ambidextrous so that helps for separation of church and state if you catch my drift, if i can remember which hand i use for which task.
Asking which one is church and which is state feels like a setup for some good punchlines.

If you're not careful they're both full of $hit.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 am
Conor wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm I'm also ambidextrous so that helps for separation of church and state if you catch my drift, if i can remember which hand i use for which task.
Asking which one is church and which is state feels like a setup for some good punchlines.

If you're not careful they're both full of $hit.
I figured the "open minded" anti-religious crowd here would just harp on the "church" side, followed up with a diatribe about how taking a kid church once a week is the equivalent to fattening a goose for the pate slaughter. Thanks for acknowledging it's a 2 way street. I knew this would come up, but painting it with that brush wasn't my intention.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:54 amTBE
Heroes die, legends live forever.