Gear Pass or Fail

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Gear Pass or Fail

Post by CaptCO » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Flow rate until recently, ease of use, streamline packing, no backflushing. Just a few reasons
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Gandalf69
14ers:summits31 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Gandalf69 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Jet boil, jet boil, and jet boil. Whoever invented this should have a statue built for them. I never questioned my stove until I went camping with my friend who brought his jet boil.....lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
nyker
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Adding a couple items -

Benchmade Bugout - nice little lightweight blade. They're pricey now but when they first came out there were some promotions, maybe be patient they'll come up again - PASS

Mountain Hardwear powerstretch gloves - super light, compact and can fit in your front pockets. Not waterproof and just slightly more cover than a liner, but great in most 2.5-3 season dry use. PASS
Trotter
14ers:summits53 winter5 
13ers:summits179 ski2 winter12 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Trotter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am

Gear FAIL

Klymit sleeping pads. The valve broke on night 1 of a 3 night backpacking trip. Would hold air for less then an hour. In desperation I gummed up the valve with repair goo they provide, and burnt it shut with a lighter, so it would hold some kind of air.

On return home, they refused to repair or replace it, because I had done "unauthorized repairs". They expected me to sleep on the ground for 2 more nights so that the pad would be more pristine.

The kicker, on their webpage I posted a poor review... they deleted it. I did it several more times, always deleted. They have thousands of 4 and 5 star reviews, not a single review of 3,2,1 stars. So they delete any review thats not glowing praise. Don't buy their stuff.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 am

Trotter wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am
Gear FAIL

Klymit sleeping pads. The valve broke on night 1 of a 3 night backpacking trip. Would hold air for less then an hour. In desperation I gummed up the valve with repair goo they provide, and burnt it shut with a lighter, so it would hold some kind of air.

On return home, they refused to repair or replace it, because I had done "unauthorized repairs". They expected me to sleep on the ground for 2 more nights so that the pad would be more pristine.

The kicker, on their webpage I posted a poor review... they deleted it. I did it several more times, always deleted. They have thousands of 4 and 5 star reviews, not a single review of 3,2,1 stars. So they delete any review thats not glowing praise. Don't buy their stuff.
Bummer. BD did the same thing after several pairs of their Z poles broke and I posted my negative feedback on their site, they deleted the poor reviews but kept any positive reviews.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:24 am

nyker wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 am
Trotter wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am
Gear FAIL

Bummer. BD did the same thing after several pairs of their Z poles broke and I posted my negative feedback on their site, they deleted the poor reviews but kept any positive reviews.
You gotta go with the fixed length. Unfortunately the adjustables are dog poop.

La Sportiva Spire = Pass for 50-60 peaks in a few months then total fail

REI leather “guide” gloves = Fail

Arcteryx Liner Gloves = Ultra Fail

Garmin Inreach = Pass durability test

Gregory Zulu = Pass

MSR Pocket Rocket 2 = Pass

REI Magma bags = Pass

Nemo Switchback pad = Pass

Nyer— I might look into Leki next season, the BD warranty is the bees knees though. If my MacBook (fail) ever wakes up I can be more descriptive
Last edited by CaptCO on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:28 am

I've been using the pair of Leki folders the last 6-7yrs and have been great. While they are technically adjustable, I don't really ever use the adjustment and just choke up if I need a shorter pole on ascents.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Picked up a pair of Tubbs Mountaineer snowshoes, shorter versions 25", they seem to be working pretty well. They have reasonable crampons on the bottom and have been ok in the trails over the last couple months.
I've yet to do a higher peak yet where I am on steeper sheet ice so see how they fare (or if I'd need a crampon there), but in flatter, hillier terrain ok so far.
I like the strap system better than my MSRs. One thing though, maybe I am not that flexible, but I find swapping left and right make loosening the back straps easier and doesn't
really impact walking...so PASS
ltlFish99
14ers:summits40 ski2 winter2 
13ers:summits51 

Post by ltlFish99 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 pm

nyker wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 pm
...."Patagucci ".... LOL :lol:
HA. I love patagucci long sleeve shirts and long underwear capilene. I had a pair of thier underwear bottoms that lasted over 20 years. I also like marmot for a base layer and I enjoy my marmot puffy.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm

Problem with me and Patagonia I'm in between sizes and hard to get something to fit right
Altitude High
14ers:summits19 

Post by Altitude High » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:01 am

shelly+ wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm
my guess is that, even though they are technically made with merino wool, the fibers in Smartwool products have been chemically processed to make them machine washable and they have therefore lost all the valuable properties of wool.
I have an embarrassing (to me) question about wool. It's itchy. Guess I have sensitive skin. Except for Smartwool socks, perhaps due to the chemical processing you mentioned to take the itch out. In the past I've tried washing wool with Woolite, which is a joke. Do your pure Australian wool items itch? Can you suggest a way to take the itch out without destroying the properties of good wool?
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 am

I agree, traditional wool, i.e. thicker wool sweaters, socks etc., are more coarse and itchy and work better as a mid-layer over a decently thick base layer and under a shell at least for me (wool is not water proof or even water resistant). I used to use thick wool sweaters on sea going fishing boats when I was younger. Great insulator they were warm being on the water all day, but terrible against your skin or even against a thin base layer if that's all I wore. Newer modern wool garments made from real merino wool is much softer and easier on the skin. Icebreaker and Smartwool products come to mind. I still don't like using wool as a base layer, as it takes a while to dry compared to synthetics from my experience.