Microspikes Alternatives

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Microspikes Alternatives

Post by illusion7il »

Just had my 2nd pair of Microspikes crap out on me. I put my boots on the register vent to dry with the microspikes still on them, pulled them off about 24 hours later only to find that the rubber had snapped on both of them. They are just past there 2 year warranty. Looks like there are a bunch of other companies that make these nowadays. I've always been a big fan of Microspikes but at $70 a pop, I'm now looking for alternatives. At that price I could try out 2-4 other brands.

Has anyone found a generic set of Microspikes that actually hold up?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Microspikes Alternatives

Post by justiner »

Why are you keeping the micro spikes on all the time? Would it make more sense to only put them on, only when they're needed?
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

illusion7il wrote:only to find that the rubber had snapped on both of them. They are just past there 2 year warranty.
Despite their being out of warranty you might try calling up the company. I have heard rumours that they stand by their product pretty passionately. Can't hurt to find out if they'll replace them for you (:

-Jared
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

justiner wrote:Why are you keeping the micro spikes on all the time? Would it make more sense to only put them on, only when they're needed?
Obviously that was my error leaving them on after using them but that was actually the 1st time I have ever done that. I had planned on going out for a hike the next day where I would need them so I left them on, and the thought never even crossed my mind that they would break while not in use.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Care Instructions: Wash with lukewarm water and air-dry (do NOT dry with heat). Ensure the product is clean and dry before storage. Inspect before each use.
Apparently, drying with heat is a big no-no. Not criticizing, I wasn't aware of that and thought it was interesting. Also, I've always stored mine out of sunlight/UV (do not leave in back of car), not sure if that helps longevity or not. Sorry, no advice to offer on alternate brands.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I just had a repair through Kahtoola myself. They don't do anything to check their two-year warranty, it's kind of an honor system. I'd fill out a request on their site and see what happens.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I have found Microspikes to be very durable and last me a long long time, but I do a few things that may help increase their longevity.

1. I make sure they are sized right. I am a US Men's size 10 and I use sizes Small, Medium and Large depending. Medium most of the time for the majority of my trail running shoes, but will use my Large for my larger winter insulated boots, as they fit much better than stretching my size medium to the max.. I also have a size Small for my more slim and sleek race shoes (like a Salomon S/Lab Sense 7 SG), as the mediums seem floppy and are more likely to twist and catch on things causing damage.

2. I use them sparingly. I am not afraid to walk/run on rock with them, but I keep it to a minimum and mostly use them if I know the trail will be continuous snow.

3. Not sure what/where your most typical need for traction entails, but for me, I run daily in the foothills of Boulder where conditions are most often in Winter a mix of snow, dry trail, hard ice over and over again and have transitioned to studded shoes like the Salomon Speedspike CS (Ice Bugs are good too, as well as La Sportiva Hobnails). Studded shoes transition much better between varied surfaces and I find it rare that I will need more than that, but will bust out the spikes when I do need more. The studs in the aforementioned options are carbide and extremely durable, you will wear the shoe out first.

Another option, Yak Trax makes a model called the Summit, which employ a Boa system vs. stretchy rubber. They are really durable and might be a better option for you, but they are heavy compared to Microspikes.

Good luck!
lsuandy12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lsuandy12 »

I swear by my Hillsound Trail Crampons Pro. They have never failed me in 4 years, all snow, ice, and rock. They hold very well going down hill and traversing side slopes. I even feel like they make postholing more tolerable. I put them on my North face Chilkat boots and then use the Hillsound Super Armadillo gaiters over the crampon straps. Since owning the trail crampons, I've never once used spikes again. It's either the crampons or snowshoes in winter, nothing else needed in my book.
Attachments
IMG_20181231_141118-600x800.jpg
IMG_20181231_141118-600x800.jpg (127.21 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Jeff Valliere wrote: Another option, Yak Trax makes a model called the Summit, which employ a Boa system vs. stretchy rubber. They are really durable and might be a better option for you, but they are heavy compared to Microspikes.
I can't really vouch for the Yak Trax Summit myself. The upper is interesting, but complex. The weakness seems to be the rivets hold the chains together (to the upper, and to connect the chains), and the spikes themselves seem to easily dull.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

justiner wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote: Another option, Yak Trax makes a model called the Summit, which employ a Boa system vs. stretchy rubber. They are really durable and might be a better option for you, but they are heavy compared to Microspikes.
I can't really vouch for the Yak Trax Summit myself. The upper is interesting, but complex. The weakness seems to be the rivets hold the chains together (to the upper, and to connect the chains), and the spikes themselves seem to easily dull.

Yeah, truth be told, me neither really. I reviewed them a few years ago and they seemed burly and have pretty significant spikes, perhaps a good alternative for hiking and those who have trouble with conventional stretchy rubber spikes (and do not mind the added weight), but I personally prefer the Microspikes on the occasions I need/want more than the studded shoes I most often wear.

As to dulling spikes, I bought a cheap bench grinder specifically to keep my Microspikes sharp, easily doubling or tripling their life.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

Not sure how long yours are lasting before "crapping out", but I have used the same pair for about 5 years now, whereas I bought a cheap second set of spikes off of amazon last year to loan to partners and the replacements broke that same season, so for me I think I'll spend the extra money on the real deal again next time and avoid cheap imitations.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

SurfNTurf wrote:I just had a repair through Kahtoola myself. They don't do anything to check their two-year warranty, it's kind of an honor system. I'd fill out a request on their site and see what happens.
why would you tell someone to try to get a free repair when they broke it by not using it as directed? this is exactly why rei has changed their longstanding return any item ever policy, because of abuse like this.