Is a Cairn subscription any good?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tupelohoney
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is a Cairn subscription any good?

Post by tupelohoney »

I'll put my two cents in since it's a bit different than the others...I love my subscription! Granted, all of the above posts are true and completely relevant - but there is something nice about getting a Cairn box on a Wednesday at work (I have it shipped to my office) that makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas morning once a month and dreaming of outdoor weekend adventures.

Sure, some of the stuff I would never use, but then it's nice to have some new outdoor trinkets to give to friends/family.

By far the best items have been the Cotopaxi day pack mentioned above and I also got turned on to Ex Officio underwear that I swear by now.

I also like to think that I'm helping to support outdoor start-up companies that may not otherwise have the means to get into the hands of consumers as quickly. I'm interested to see how some of these companies fare after exposure and if it ultimately helps or hurts their business.
“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Gooner
14ers: 26 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gooner »

Month two, here we go:

Fozzils foldable cup/bowl/plate
LightMyFire spice box and Ground2Table spice packets
Jimmy Bar (giggity) gluten free nut free bar
LightMyFire cutting board/strainer.

The dogs get a Bark Box every month. Wife actually loves them.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

Update: Boyfriend apparently gifted me a subscription for Christmas. I just got the first box which was surprisingly awesome despite my earlier conclusion that it was a waste of money

There are some really useful and nice things in this one, just in time for a Guadalupe Mountains backpacking trip. But maybe they just go all-out for December. I still don't think that I would spend the $25/month of my money, but hey, since it was a gift I guess I won out! :-"

If anyone is dying to know, I can list the contents but I didn't want to ruin the surprise for anyone else that has a subscription
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

swampthing wrote:If anyone is dying to know, I can list the contents...
Well I really do want to know! \:D/
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Just. Don't.