Using a Garmin etrex 10 with Mac - Question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fireguyCO
14ers: 27
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Using a Garmin etrex 10 with Mac - Question

Post by fireguyCO » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello,
I just purchased a Garmin etrex 10 and am having trouble downloading a GPX file to my etrex 10. The file is already loaded to Garmin Base Camp on my Mac. If someone who knows how to do this could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
justiner
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (28)

Re: Using a Garmin etrex 10 with Mac - Question

Post by justiner » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:48 pm

This is for the eTrex 20, but perhaps my tutorial can help?

Herbert
14ers: 27

Re: Using a Garmin etrex 10 with Mac - Question

Post by Herbert » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Well, Justin's very professional video covered just about all of my suggestions. The point that I can add has to do with the fact that sometimes the GPX file which I download, especially those from 14ers.com, arrives at BaseCamp as a "route" (shown as an icon that looks kind of like a pair of binoculars) as opposed to a "track" (shown as an icon that resembles a pair of footprints). If it is a route, then I right click it and convert it to a track. And then I delete the route. Hint: If you do not delete the route after converting it to a track, it will remain as an overlay and you will not be able to see the track in BaseCamp. Then I transfer the track to my Garmin device. I work in a Windows 7 environment, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with my experience. If you are still having trouble, you can call Garmin customer service at U.S. 1-800-800-1020. They are very helpful.