Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
brankulo
14ers: 14 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Boots

Post by brankulo »

What is everyones favourite boot/shoe? I am looking for recommendation for ones best suitable for class 3 and up day hikes. I have been doing fine in sneakers so far (510 ascents) but they are falling apart.
Thanks
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Boots

Post by polar »

Whatever shoe fits you the best. It's really personal preference. Some people like trail runners, some people like approach shoes, some people just use regular hiking shoes.

BTW the Five Ten Ascent is more than just sneakers. They have sticky rubber soles, make them better than your regular Nike or Puma for scrambling.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

You'll find lots of shoe/boot threads on the forum. Seems like the consensus is try a bunch on and see what feels the best cause every foot is different. Admittedly, trying them on in a store, even running around a little or on their treadmill, doesn't really tell you everything you need to know.

My current preference is the New Balance Leadville trail runners for anything Class 1/2 and LS Boulder X approach shoes for Class 3/4. I'll even hike to camp in the Leadvilles and pack the LS for summit day if we're packing in for something like Snowmass or Needle. Carrying two pairs of shoes is probably overkill but I don't mind the extra weight and sacrificial shoes are good for getting around muddy lakes.

I haven't worn boots in a long time but you'll find plenty of others that do. We're also generally hiking spring/summer/fall, so minimal snow travel.
brankulo
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brankulo »

polar wrote: BTW the Five Ten Ascent is more than just sneakers. They have sticky rubber soles, make them better than your regular Nike or Puma for scrambling.
I know, these are primarily my biking shoes but i ended up wearing them for hikes as well, as i like them a lot. might just get another pair. cant really grasp the idea of wearing boots really, especially for day hikes and scrambling over rocks, where i need to feel the rock surface / texture. but thats me. only hike in summer/fall. my hiking buddy wears some sort of high leather hiking boots that weigh a ton for the very same trips. i just find it ridiculous.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

No need for high top boots unless you need or believe in the ankle support they offer. Since the Ascent seems to be working for you, I'd just get another pair, or look at some other Five Ten offerings. The Guide Tennie is one of the most popular approach shoes, they offer a pretty good compromise between hiking and scrambling.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/closeouts/outdoor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by polar on Tue May 10, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

I really like hiking in my trail runners too, but it becomes problematic on wet and/or slushy trails. So back last fall, I decided to try out Vasque's goretex running/hiking shoes. They're a heavier than normal trail runners, but still responsive and nowhere near as cumbersome as actual hiking boots. They also seem to hold up way better than Merrells, IMO. Just another option out there for you - it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that goretex sneakers were a thing, haha.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

polar wrote:No need for hike top boots unless you need or believe in the ankle support they offer. Since the Ascent seems to be working for you, I'd just get another pair, or look at some other Five Ten offerings. The Guide Tennie is one of the most popular approach shoes, they offer a pretty good compromise between hiking and scrambling.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/closeouts/outdoor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5.10 guide's come in mid tops as well. My ankles are a bit wobbly so I love them. Still flexible enough to actually rock climb in and I don't roll my ankles all the time, and they are super light as well. The make a goretex version too. Can't say enough good things about these shoes.

http://goo.gl/K5ECKW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

kingshimmers wrote:I really like hiking in my trail runners too.
Nothing useful to add other than love your avatar.

Edited to add: Since I’m wasting screen space, I might as well make my post a bit more useful.

Shoes that climb really well (rock shoes, Gandas, etc) will inevitably not hike very well, and shoes that are super comfy and supportive when hiking will probably not climb very well. You can compensate for this by being a very strong climber (like Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell soloing 5.11s in their approach shoes), which bring me to another point: when someone recommends a pair of shoes and say “I can climb 5.9 with these”, take that with a grain of salt. How strong of a climber are they? Were they free soloing, leading, or toproping? Do they warm up on 5.12s, or hangdog 5.9s? There are many variables. I can probably scratch and claw my way up a juggy 5.easy in a pair of snowshoes on toprope, but I wouldn’t say snowshoes are great for scrambling.
Last edited by polar on Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Many just use what they're comfortable with, the devil they know. Others have a list of things they want. The majority (69%) of CO 14er standard routes don't exceed Class 2 so just about anything will "work" in summer.

I've used from light, minimalist to feature-laden, padded footwear and like my jungle boots ala a multi-tool. Some factors I consider are: keeping scree and pebbles out (no need for gaiters), toe and heal protection, breathable, dry quick, tie quick, grip and smear well, flexible forefoot but rigid enough sole for talus (Converse Chuck Taylors grip great but suck for even cobblestone streets). I like to be able go from city to trail, talus, scree, 5.7+, scrambling, strap crampons or spikes, and camping all without needing other footwear. Foot goes in the creek? Shake em out, change socks, and carry on. Sharp rock edge runs against toe, heel, or ankle? Covered. Need to kick or stomp something (like a trailer connector)? All good. Goretex and padding only seem to trap water and perspiration while taking forever to dry.

So what ever you choose, pick what suits you and your demands, including any special needs (support, pronation, toe box room, ...). Even if only flip flops, keep back up footwear back at your vehicle and use trekking poles to minimize foot and knee impact.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

brankulo wrote:I am looking for recommendation for ones best suitable for class 3 and up day hikes.
For these purposes, I like the La Sportiva Boulder X a lot. Great grip for the slabs and scrambling, but enough support (at least for me) for those long approaches and scree-slogs. Of course, this comes at a price: the Boulder X is far from the lightest approach shoe out there, and the leather outer material isn't ideal for very wet conditions.

For days involving substantial travel on snow and/or mud or wet trails (i.e. early and late season), I like the Vasque Breeze hiking boots. Still fairly lightweight, comfortable, and grippy enough for 3rd or 4th class, but the GTX membrane keeps the moisture out, and the sole is stiff enough for universal crampon us on moderately steep, firm snow.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

polar wrote:
Nothing useful to add other than love your avatar.
Thanks polar!
"Be the beta you wish to find."