Inserts for hiking boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Inserts for hiking boots

Post by Mitsugi »

My feet tend to hurt during hikes. Does anybody have any suggestions for gel or cushiony inserts for shoes that will help me be more durable during a busy summer hiking schedule?
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
Old Goat
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Inserts for hiking boots

Post by Old Goat »

The first consideration to make: What part of the foot hurts?
The type of foot pad/insert you use should be based upon that answer.
For anything over 1/2 mile, my wife must have her prescription, arch supports.
In my case, I have painful heel spurs. Without an insert, it hurts walking to the mailbox.
I use a Dr. Scholls 2/3 foot pad with that thick, foamy, heel section.
I rip out the soft, heel circle, and I can walk as far as I want with zero heel pain.
FWIW - My wife and I both hike in Merrill Moabs.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Mitsugi wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:00 am My feet tend to hurt during hikes. Does anybody have any suggestions for gel or cushiony inserts for shoes that will help me be more durable during a busy summer hiking schedule?
honestly, the first thing i would look at is whether your shoe is the right fit for your foot. i put a lot of miles on, and my feet almost never hurt (i have to put in a 15-20 mile day for that). but i have certain shoes that just don't fit my foot even though it's the right "size".

ex: i used to wear a certain pair of boots from vasque. went through 3 or 4 pairs of them. at one point they changed the boot design. same brand, same boot, same size, but i can no longer wear it without hot spots.

have you foot sized by a good boot fitter and see if they can recommend a different boot or size. because honestly your feet should NOT hurt after a hike, nor should they require an insert. i'm speaking generally of course - you may have a very specific issue that makes you a unique case. but again, a good boot fitter could help you determine that.
Mitsugi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

Any suggestions on a good boot fitter in Denver?
Mitsugi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

Old Goat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:05 am The first consideration to make: What part of the foot hurts?
The type of foot pad/insert you use should be based upon that answer.
For anything over 1/2 mile, my wife must have her prescription, arch supports.
In my case, I have painful heel spurs. Without an insert, it hurts walking to the mailbox.
I use a Dr. Scholls 2/3 foot pad with that thick, foamy, heel section.
I rip out the soft, heel circle, and I can walk as far as I want with zero heel pain.
FWIW - My wife and I both hike in Merrill Moabs.
we have 6 easy 14ers In a week planned over Labor Day down in telluride. It’s so far we wanna bang a bunch out but it is like 50 miles. Which is why I asked. Maybe my la sportiva boots are no good for me
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Mitsugi wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:00 am My feet tend to hurt during hikes. Does anybody have any suggestions for gel or cushiony inserts for shoes that will help me be more durable during a busy summer hiking schedule?
You may want to have the fit checked first and see what you learn about your boot and your feet. Could be time for a new boot, a different boot, or to get some orthotics.

I learned a while back that my left foot is 5mm smaller than my right foot. For daily life and exercise, this is a non-issue. But, if I get in a hiking boot or ski boot that is even a smidge too big, my left foot gets really angry with me on steeper terrain. Crazy arch pain because it has to do extra work to maintain position. I now pay extra attention the feeling of snugness on my left foot when trying on new footwear.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Mitsugi wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:47 pm Any suggestions on a good boot fitter in Denver?
Not in Denver, but Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder does an outstanding job of boot fit, adjustment, and insoles.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

FWIW I would also consider some foot stretching and strengthening exercises. There is nothing wrong per-say with comfy shoes and I’m not a big barefoot guy or anything, but our feet are pretty coddled nowadays to say the least, and as a result often quite weak and tensed up. A couple weeks of care could do you some wonders, I would say it’s certainly worth consideration.
swetnesss
14ers: 47  2 
13ers: 106 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swetnesss »

I've had some on and off musculoskeletal issues on the medial aspect of my left arch for years. OTC insoles, X-rays, MRIs, PT, podiatry, and orthopedics, you name it I had it and nothing worked. It was painful to even walk the dog around the neighborhood a few blocks. Finally got some custom foot beds at The Custom Foot in Denver by the owner Andrew. He makes footbeds for all sports, but a majority for people who are on their feet all day like construction workers. The whole process took 2 hours and cost $350. This was back in 2014 and he said the insoles last about 3 years, 5 max. Today I still have the originals that I rotate thru what ever shoe I'm wearing and I've been pain free the entire time.
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

My anecdotal story is about heel pain in particular. I developed bilateral heel issues in the form of probable plantar fasciitis and switched to dr. scholls plantar fasciitis inserts and have never had a problem again, x4 years approx.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

Everyone's feet vary, but I've had good success with Green Superfeet Trailblazers (they have various kinds for different feet):

https://www.rei.com/product/117156/supe ... ng-insoles

Used or use a heavy duty Dr Scholls, but found these worked better for hiking (for me).

And if you have problems with blisters or skin rubbing, I HIGHLY recommend using Injinji liner socks under your thick hiking socks. They have pretty much eliminated most blisters and rubbing of skin for my hikes (except my 220 mile JMT hike, that I did have some minor blistering and heel rubbing).

https://www.rei.com/product/881305/inji ... crew-socks
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I like the Spenco heavy duty insoles. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/spenco- ... ty-insoles
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.