Hydration bladder when winter hiking

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Hydration bladder when winter hiking

Post by cougar »

I just keep both the bladder and hose inside my coat, works fine most of the time. Still have the original "pack" camelback model with newer bladder, and blow air back in. When it's very cold the bite valve might freeze, I carry a liter thermos of water as backup in my pack. Also I don't stay out long in very cold temperatures, if at all.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I don't use a bladder in the winter. After two trips where I had frozen hoses or mouthpiece, just not worth the dehydration or frozen finger risk trying to fix it.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Insulated bottles. Insulated bottle holder.

Much of what we do, the choices we make, in hiking/climbing 14ers is risk management.
The amount of effort and steps needed to use a bladder in the winter, to keep it from freezing, just doesn't make sense to me.
It's a risk we can eliminate.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

And worst of all, if it freezes, it's also one of your heaviest items you've now been lugging for no reason.
And if it bursts you're also hosed, pun intended.