Ski Mountaineering Shell Gear - 2022

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ndomke
14ers: 58  11  2 
13ers: 59 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ski Mountaineering Shell Gear - 2022

Post by ndomke »

I really like the Chemical pant from Flylow with inside and outside zips if you are not into bibs. Easy to layer underneath for winter or spring and they are really tough with reinforced knees and cuffs - good for booting couloirs. I have had these pants for probably five years and dropped them off at Flylow in Denver last spring to patch some small holes and they were happy to repair them and ship them back to me for free after the repair.

I also really like the Patagonia Powslayer hard shell jacket. It is 3 layer tough, light, breaths well and packs down easily if you need to shed a layer.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Jorts wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:31 pm
pvnisher wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:07 am I find the material less important than the features.
I'm actually the opposite... material being more important than features. If it doesn't breathe, I cannot use it for skinning.

I've used Outdoor Research's Interstellar for 4 years - though its finally starting to wear out and wet out when it's really nuking. It's lightweight and breathable, so great for those efforts that start below treeline and end above.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... terstellar
I could not agree more. For super aerobic activities, material is the most important thing for me. While I don't do SkiMo myself, I've tried a variety of shell materials for high output aerobic endeavors in the snow. The best one (for me) I've found is Polartec Neoshell, but unfortunately not many companies use this material anymore. The reason (beyond some manufacturing constaints) from what I've read, is that Gore Tex essential threatened the big companies it would not allow them to license GTX materials if they also used NeoShell products. Neoshell is light, doesn't have the crinkle factor, and is by far the most breathable (while still offering good wind resistance) and checks my boxes for adequate water repelling . My primary Neoshell, which finally wore out after 6 years, only required reapplication of DWR once around the high wear shoulder areas.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I've been really happy with La Sportiva's skimo race pant; I believe I have the older Stratos version. Not too hot when you are moving, but not too cold when windy. On long days when the weather looks iffy I've thrown a base layer under them and been plenty warm. I have worn them on a good amount of peaks with glissading in May-June, and the material has held up surprisingly well for how light it is. The material is also really flexible and comfortable- I've actually run in them on bike/run/climb adventures and worn them on the bike too.

For inbounds I have Strafe bibs, but they are just too much for up hilling. Great on the descent and riding the lifts, but I am sweating 15 minutes after starting to uphill in them.
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Thanks everyone again for your replies. Life has been catching up with me; work and stuff. So, I have not been able to follow through on this.

Question; for everyone who is wearing super light stuff for aerobic activities, etc. What is your plan B if you need to go into survival mode Is what you are wearing going to be enough to keep you alive? That is why I am a fan of shell gear, because to me, it is more robust for all around stuff, including being a better go to option in an emergency. Hope I am saying that right.

Thanks again for all of the input and replies.

Cheers.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

JulianSmith wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm What is your plan B if you need to go into survival mode Is what you are wearing going to be enough to keep you alive?
I take emergency insulation layer(s) depending on the forecast and how far out I'm going to be. Today was warm and close to the road so I just had an atom LT to keep warm. If it's colder or I'm farther out from help I'll take a big parka, if it's really cold or I'm going way out there I'll usually add puffy pants to the mix. Bivy bag if I'm really worried about getting stuck out overnight.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

On my upper body I wear a super thin, long sleeve SPF jersey. My Flylow Baker bibs go high on my chest offering a little warmth. Then I wear my Arcteryx Gamma LT soft shell, which is basically a wind block (but not wind proof). In my pack I have a thin hoodless down jacket, plus a Mammut rain jacket. With all these layers on I think I would be fine in an emergency. If it's going to be colder I can switch out the rain jacket for my Arcteryx Beta AR. Personally I find my lower body to be more worrisome. Typically I wear a thinner merino wool base layer. My bibs have vents on the outer and inner leg so that helps cool me off on the skin track, but I kind of worry about keeping my legs warm in an emergency. I don't usually carry a thick base layer for my legs as changing these out would be difficult to say the least. Just the act of changing these (if I'm doing this it's going to be COLD, plus I have to take off jackets, bibs, and boots!!!!) is a huge pain!!!! Also, I don't typically have room to carry this extra layer (I have the BCA Float 32). Take what I say with a grain of salt - I am no expert by any means!!
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

JulianSmith wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm Question; for everyone who is wearing super light stuff for aerobic activities, etc. What is your plan B if you need to go into survival mode Is what you are wearing going to be enough to keep you alive? That is why I am a fan of shell gear, because to me, it is more robust for all around stuff, including being a better go to option in an emergency. Hope I am saying that right.
Depends where you're going, right? If it's a heavily trafficked place and I'm only going a few miles out I'll just risk it carrying next to nothing. If I'm going out there a ways, throw in an extra puffy, maybe some wind pants. Starting late or otherwise know there's a better than tiny chance of being stuck overnight? Throw in a bivy sack. I love the helium from Outdoor Research. And the decision is always weather dependent. If overnight lows are not going below 10 you can survive a night with very little.

I once had to spend the night in a snow cave atop Quandary in early May. It dipped to 8 deg overnight. I had nothing but a light tarp. It was miserable and uncomfortable but I was fine. Though I promised myself I'd never spend an unplanned night out without a bivy sack again after that.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
JulianSmith
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Jorts wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:59 am
JulianSmith wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm Question; for everyone who is wearing super light stuff for aerobic activities, etc. What is your plan B if you need to go into survival mode Is what you are wearing going to be enough to keep you alive? That is why I am a fan of shell gear, because to me, it is more robust for all around stuff, including being a better go to option in an emergency. Hope I am saying that right.
I once had to spend the night in a snow cave atop Quandary in early May. It dipped to 8 deg overnight. I had nothing but a light tarp. It was miserable and uncomfortable but I was fine. Though I promised myself I'd never spend an unplanned night out without a bivy sack again after that.
Sounds like my first trip up Liberty Ridge in '96. We spent an unplanned night on the summit of Liberty Cap, in a snow cave, due to a lenticular cloud, and white-out conditions. Having a back-up for unplanned occasions in the backcountry is a big thing on my mind. I tend to go very light, but I also have something to fall back on if need be. Heck I even have a couple of big garbage bags shoved into my pack.
JulianSmith
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Ended up scoring an Arc'teryx Beta SV Jacket from the outlet in Castle Rock for $357. Sweet deal! Thanks again for all the advice and feedback.
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

Great snag on that Beta SV! I have the Alpha SV and really dig it.

I recently picked up the OR Skytour Ascentshell Bibs and am in love with them. OR seems to be leading the charge with non-Gore-Tex shells these days.... They stretch and breathe like softshell, but are 3L waterproof and seam taped like a hardshell. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. I have skied all day in them when its nuking 2" per hour, and also wear them on long, sweaty tours. They are excellent at both. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens ... ibs-283193

I've also mentioned this in another thread, but the Arc'Teryx Proton FL has become my "put on and leave on" layer for high-output activities in cold weather. Here's a review I did on it last year: https://engearment.com/clothing/arcteryx-proton-fl/
JulianSmith
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

JacerJack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:11 am Great snag on that Beta SV! I have the Alpha SV and really dig it.

I recently picked up the OR Skytour Ascentshell Bibs and am in love with them. OR seems to be leading the charge with non-Gore-Tex shells these days.... They stretch and breathe like softshell, but are 3L waterproof and seam taped like a hardshell. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. I have skied all day in them when its nuking 2" per hour, and also wear them on long, sweaty tours. They are excellent at both. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens ... ibs-283193

I've also mentioned this in another thread, but the Arc'Teryx Proton FL has become my "put on and leave on" layer for high-output activities in cold weather. Here's a review I did on it last year: https://engearment.com/clothing/arcteryx-proton-fl/
Thanks for the recommendations. I wonder if there is a place where a person could try some of these in Colorado? REI looks like they have a very limited stock of either piece.
WhitW
14ers: 4  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WhitW »

I recently got a pair of OR SkyTour Ascentshell bibs, which I've been trying to use as much as possible lately. I really wanted to try bibs after wearing out my previous ski pants, and so far I'm super fond of them. While they definitely aren't slim fitting by any stretch, they're much less baggy than most ski shells I've tried on, so they're easier to use with crampons. If it's too hot for bibs, I'll wear some light softshell pants instead. On my upper body I usually use a light windbreaker. I currently have a a windbreaker from Mountain Equipment which uses more of a soft-shell fabric than the calendared nylon you see in a lot of running windbreakers, so its a bit more breathable and comfortable. If its snowing hard (or raining) I'll just bring a light rain jacket instead. I find I can get away with some pretty light shell gear, particularly on my torso.