How do you organize your gear?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How do you organize your gear?

Post by Altitude High »

Lists help. I've been organizing Word lists for years, with different kinds of gear listed under separate categories. For example clothing is under one heading, shelter and sleeping gear under another, first aid under another, cooking/food in another, and so forth. I have different lists for different seasons.

As to the actual gear, I separate it into different areas where the gear is stored. For clothing I've separated most items into different stuff sacks (e.g., medium red stuffsack, small orange stuffsack, large green stuffsack, and so forth) and store it there. Each stuff sacks lists what's in it. The same could be done with peg boards.

Then for specific trips, I use one of master lists and start a new Word document listing what I need by category, and where those items are stored. Also what will go in which area of the backpack or outside the pack.

Angry I admire your peg board. I can tell you have an organized mind. 8)
Last edited by Altitude High on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Just go to REI with a list, pick it all up, then return it at the end of the season.
No storage required, you get all the newest things, and free use of things you can't afford
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I utilize 3 of those portable plastic shelves from home depot in a spare room.
They are great because you can break them down in minutes when you need to move like I am doing this weekend.