Back Injury - Moutaineering Complete

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
homicide133
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Back Injury - Moutaineering Complete

Post by homicide133 »

Hey everyone,
Fell off my roof last week and have a minor compression fracture on my L12. Dr. said I'll recover fine as I'm young and healthy. Anyways, my life goal was to climb the 7 Summits and have completed two, Kili and Mt. Elbrus in Russia. Tried Aconcagua 3 years ago but wind turned us around and did a 5-day winter expedition seminar on Mt. Rainier in April of this year. Had Denali planned for May 2022 but with my recent injury, figured I should stop while I'm ahead. I've decided to put a permanent hold on tall mountains and take up flying, safer and less expensive, :-D and have around 30 hours completed for my PPL.
With that being said, I've listed a few items on the SWAP/SHOP and I'll list more in the following days/weeks. If you're interested in something, shoot me an offer as I have quite a bit of climbing / mountaineering equipment that I'll never use again.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Back Injury - Moutaineering Complete

Post by Ed_Groves »

That sounds like a tough decision considering climbing the seven highest continental peaks was your life goal. I respect your decision and assume you have put a lot of time into thinking it over. Are you giving up everything, including peaks in the 4000 - 4500 meter range?
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
homicide133
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by homicide133 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:34 am That sounds like a tough decision considering climbing the seven highest continental peaks was your life goal. I respect your decision and assume you have put a lot of time into thinking it over. Are you giving up everything, including peaks in the 4000 - 4500 meter range?
Planning on retiring in CO or WY and summitted 13 of the 14'ers in CO so far and I'll keep hiking the "smaller" ones
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

That's the ticket. I was going to say, as addicting as this is I didn't know how you would be able to completely stop. :)
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Probably for the best. After that Alex guy broke his back, it seems he hung up his climbing shoes and hasn't been able to do any sort of big physical challenges.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Oh dear. I’m sorry about your accident, and obviously you’re the ultimate decision-maker on what you think you’d be mentally and physically capable of once you heal up, but as someone else who had a minor compression fracture after a nasty fall (now recovered, though you wouldn’t always know it from the way my back muscles sometimes like to whine)...might I recommend holding off on abandoning your life goals, at least until it’s been more than a week post-injury?

Don’t get me wrong, you might very well come out of this in 5-7 weeks or whenever it’s healed still completely rethinking your climbing plans - I had enough time lying flat on my own back (the compression fracture was, it turned out, the least of my worries :roll: ) to realize that, while I was and am still committed to my long-standing goal of finishing the fourteeners despite being wildly unenthusiastic about the ones I have left, I have absolutely no interest in working through the rest of the Cents I have remaining and plan to quit them after summiting the four I do want to climb (unless one of my very, VERY good friends really, REALLY wants to check off that whole list with me specifically...which, thankfully, seems unlikely). I also had enough time, however, to think about what sorts of adventures I’d rather have instead, and I have an actual, physical list that should keep me going for years after I have the fourteeners in my rear view mirror at last! :-D

Again, not trying to tell you that you don’t know your own mind or whatnot, just mentioning from personal experience that maaaaaaaybe this soon after a scary accident resulting in a painful injury is perhaps not the absolute best time to be selling a lot of expensive gear that you could maybe possibly regret having let go once you’re able to get back out there and start playing hard(er) in the mountains again.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:28 am Oh dear. I’m sorry about your accident, and obviously you’re the ultimate decision-maker on what you think you’d be mentally and physically capable of once you heal up, but as someone else who had a minor compression fracture after a nasty fall (now recovered, though you wouldn’t always know it from the way my back muscles sometimes like to whine)...might I recommend holding off on abandoning your life goals, at least until it’s been more than a week post-injury?

Don’t get me wrong, you might very well come out of this in 5-7 weeks or whenever it’s healed still completely rethinking your climbing plans - I had enough time lying flat on my own back (the compression fracture was, it turned out, the least of my worries :roll: ) to realize that, while I was and am still committed to my long-standing goal of finishing the fourteeners despite being wildly unenthusiastic about the ones I have left, I have absolutely no interest in working through the rest of the Cents I have remaining and plan to quit them after summiting the four I do want to climb (unless one of my very, VERY good friends really, REALLY wants to check off that whole list with me specifically...which, thankfully, seems unlikely). I also had enough time, however, to think about what sorts of adventures I’d rather have instead, and I have an actual, physical list that should keep me going for years after I have the fourteeners in my rear view mirror at last! :-D

Again, not trying to tell you that you don’t know your own mind or whatnot, just mentioning from personal experience that maaaaaaaybe this soon after a scary accident resulting in a painful injury is perhaps not the absolute best time to be selling a lot of expensive gear that you could maybe possibly regret having let go once you’re able to get back out there and start playing hard(er) in the mountains again.
I'll echo this, been through a couple compression fractures myself, and would definitely recommend not immediately selling everything - the stoke will definitely be there when you're back up and running, which will happen sooner than it currently feels.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Sorry about your accident and injury, but your PTSD might be directed in the wrong location.
just stay off roofs and keep your gear.
Or, use your gear when you're on the roof.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Damn sorry to hear that. I will go look at your items.