Thank You North Face

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Thank You North Face

Post by Trotter »

justiner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:17 am
I guess an interesting thought experiment could be this: If I were to fly to Jackson, and climb the Grand Teton using TNF gear, would the amount of oil and gas be greater for the transportation to the TH, or for the raw materials my clothes/gear are made of that I bring to do the actual climb? And perhaps remember that I can then reuse those clothes/gear for another climb - the fuel for my flight is gone.

His whole argument does rest upon the idea of, if you're OK with the former, you must be OK with the latter. And that just doesn't have to be, as it's perfectly fine to look into alternatives for energy production for things like transportation. And if that's so, it makes obvious sense to do so. Reducing our dependency on oil and gas would be a good move for everyone. (remember the first R is, "Reduce"). If a company like TNF had an alternative to shipping their products across the world that didn't use huge container ships guzzling bunker fuel, maybe they would. I'm still confused on why you would target TNF, except the personal link that this guy likes to climb and he also knows an athlete in TNF. It kinda... reeks of something to me.
Thats an interesting question.
But don't forget for oil and gas, its used for way more then just the plastic in your clothing/backpack/ropes.

Its the plastic in the jet, the airport, the car/bus/uber you use to get to and from the airport. Its the lubricating oil in all those machines. Its the paint in the airport. Its the asphalt in the road. Its the medical supplies and gear you might need if you get hurt.
About a third of our oil goes into products that aren't fuel for engines.

An interesting fact from the government:
In 2020, of the approximately 6.6 billion barrels of total U.S. petroleum consumption, 44% was finished motor gasoline (includes fuel ethanol), 21% was distillate fuel (heating oil and diesel fuel made from crude oil and biomass-based diesel fuel), and 6% was jet fuel. Over 13 other types of petroleum products made up the other 29% of total petroleum consumption in 2020.

Another interesting read. Toothpaste and lipstick has oil and gas.
https://www.kcet.org/shows/earth-focus/ ... -petroleum

If the liberty guy really wants to go after some hypocrites, he should go after the Fiji water company. Showing pure waterfalls and jungles, while they use plastics and fuel to ship expensive water across oceans.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

ker0uac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:20 pm Stop taxing income and start taxing consumption, and the environment will thank you
+1. I am all about a fair tax to replace the income tax.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Trotter wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:33 pm

But don't forget for oil and gas, its used for way more then just the plastic in your clothing/backpack/ropes.

Its the plastic in the jet, the airport, the car/bus/uber you use to get to and from the airport. Its the lubricating oil in all those machines. Its the paint in the airport. Its the asphalt in the road. Its the medical supplies and gear you might need if you get hurt.
About a third of our oil goes into products that aren't fuel for engines.

If the liberty guy really wants to go after some hypocrites, he should go after the Fiji water company. Showing pure waterfalls and jungles, while they use plastics and fuel to ship expensive water across oceans.
+1. I can't think of anything more hypocritical than someone who says they care deeply about the environment and then drinks bottled water on a regular basis.
Especially galling is imported bottled water.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6