REI dividend

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
JChitwood
Posts: 412
Joined: 8/29/2011
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits36 

Re: REI dividend

Post by JChitwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:27 am

Thanks for reminding me. I remember your wife’s health issue but forgot about REI’s role. Hope she has recovered as much as possible.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
User avatar
Jay521
Posts: 1032
Joined: 8/1/2007
14ers:summits42 winter10 
13ers:summits153 winter25 
Trip Reports (51)

Re: REI dividend

Post by Jay521 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:10 am

bergsteigen wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Jay521 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 pm
bergsteigen wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:35 pm
I put all $223K of my grandmothers nursing home care onto my Visa card. Figured if the family was gonna bleed, I was gonna get something back. Boom!
You're credit limit is a helluva lot higher than mine! :bow: :bow:
Memory care is $11K/month. Plan ahead...
Oh I have planned ahead - -there's just no way I could put it on my Visa (or MC or AmEx, etc.)

And good for you!!!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 863
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Re: REI dividend

Post by greenonion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am

ker0uac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:39 am
nmjameswilson wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:15 am
I have one with 0% for 18 months.
that's a surefire way to rack up debt
Hey ker0uac, what's up with your avatar photo? If you don't care, then neither will I. Just thought I would point it out... unless I'm the only one seeing the oddity??
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...KR
User avatar
d_baker
Posts: 2703
Joined: 11/18/2007
14ers:summits58 winter15 
13ers:summits277 winter9 
Trip Reports (57)

Re: REI dividend

Post by d_baker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 am

greenonion wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am
ker0uac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:39 am
nmjameswilson wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:15 am
I have one with 0% for 18 months.
that's a surefire way to rack up debt
Hey ker0uac, what's up with your avatar photo? If you don't care, then neither will I. Just thought I would point it out... unless I'm the only one seeing the oddity??
His big head?

Or, the times it doesn't show up on mobile? I've seen that with his recently, but not today. He's an odd admin, after all!
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 863
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Re: REI dividend

Post by greenonion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am

d_baker wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 am
greenonion wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am
ker0uac wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:39 am


that's a surefire way to rack up debt
Hey ker0uac, what's up with your avatar photo? If you don't care, then neither will I. Just thought I would point it out... unless I'm the only one seeing the oddity??
His big head?

Or, the times it doesn't show up on mobile? I've seen that with his recently, but not today. He's an odd admin, after all!
The times it doesn't show up. For me, it's not showing up on the regular site beamed to me by a laptop.
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...KR
User avatar
Candace66
Posts: 164
Joined: 1/23/2017
14ers:summits42 winter1 
13ers:summits180 winter4 
Contact:

Re: REI dividend

Post by Candace66 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:05 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:35 pm

I put all $223K of my grandmothers nursing home care onto my Visa card. Figured if the family was gonna bleed, I was gonna get something back. Boom!
Off-topic, but...my credit score is about as high as it can be, and I sure don't have a CC credit limit remotely close to that. :-k Or were you simply charging then paying off the 11K every month?
"One criterion for climbing a peak is that you should gain a vertical height under your own power equal to your peak's rise from its highest connecting saddle with a neighbor peak...Beyond this minimum gain, you are free to gain as much altitude as your peak-bagging conscience requires." - Gerry Roach, "Colorado 14ers" :wink:
User avatar
bergsteigen
Posts: 2309
Joined: 6/14/2008
14ers:summits58 ski52 winter18 
13ers:summits519 ski98 winter18 
Trip Reports (233)
Contact:

Re: REI dividend

Post by bergsteigen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Candace66 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:05 pm
bergsteigen wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:35 pm

I put all $223K of my grandmothers nursing home care onto my Visa card. Figured if the family was gonna bleed, I was gonna get something back. Boom!
Off-topic, but...my credit score is about as high as it can be, and I sure don't have a CC credit limit remotely close to that. :-k Or were you simply charging then paying off the 11K every month?
Monthly! Yeah, putting all of that on at once would be insane. Plus the nursing home likes to be paid on time, monthly. It got me two good years of dividends. I should have gotten a better cash back card, but didn’t want to ding my credit by opening a new line of credit, even if I was paying off without fees.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
User avatar
headsizeburrito
Posts: 42
Joined: 8/23/2020
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (1)

Re: REI dividend

Post by headsizeburrito » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Damn guys, are we talking about financial responsibilities here or bragging about getting free money to feed consumerism? I used part of my dividend on some new trail runners and will probably put the rest towards a new sleeping pad.
User avatar
Gene913
Posts: 364
Joined: 12/16/2006
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits10 
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: REI dividend

Post by Gene913 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 pm

headsizeburrito wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm
are we talking about financial responsibilities here or bragging about getting free money to feed consumerism?
Neither. This is nothing more than a straightforward conversation about the REI Co-op Mastercard. All Co-op members receive a 10% dividend on qualifying purchases. In addition to this, the REI Co-op Mastercard offers 5% back on all REI purchases made with the card, and 1% back on all other purchases made with the card. This is the same thing as credit card companies that provide cash back or airline miles when their card is used to make purchases. A prudent consumer - who is going to purchase goods and services anyway - will use a credit card that has the features/benefits most desired by the consumer. It is actually financially educational to learn of the permissibly creative ways that others have used the available features/benefits offered by a credit card company.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
User avatar
headsizeburrito
Posts: 42
Joined: 8/23/2020
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (1)

Re: REI dividend

Post by headsizeburrito » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Just trying to bring a little levity and 14er-related discussion to the thread. :o
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2609
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: REI dividend

Post by nyker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 pm

My dividend this year a paltry $13

..think any dividend this year will pale in comparison to the stimulus checks...
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 3382
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)
Contact:

Re: REI dividend

Post by justiner » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Gene913 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 pm
headsizeburrito wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm
are we talking about financial responsibilities here or bragging about getting free money to feed consumerism?
Neither. This is nothing more than a straightforward conversation about the REI Co-op Mastercard. All Co-op members receive a 10% dividend on qualifying purchases. In addition to this, the REI Co-op Mastercard offers 5% back on all REI purchases made with the card, and 1% back on all other purchases made with the card. This is the same thing as credit card companies that provide cash back or airline miles when their card is used to make purchases. A prudent consumer - who is going to purchase goods and services anyway - will use a credit card that has the features/benefits most desired by the consumer. It is actually financially educational to learn of the permissibly creative ways that others have used the available features/benefits offered by a credit card company.
I think this idea breaks down when you price compare against REI - you can usually get a better deal some-a-wheres else. So all you really get from REI is convenience, imo.
Post Reply