My Lab on Missouri Concern

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My Lab on Missouri Concern

Post by docinco »

i backpacked w dogs for decades, never had a single problem except w stream crossings--harness and leash are a must, along w dog booties for scree and talus. a good dog pack can substitute for harness and allow carrying a walmart el cheapo synthetic child's sleeping bag. then i started peak-bagging, but after a few walkups--handies/sunshine/redcloud/grays/torreys--decided that the joy of bringing my best friends was more than offset by the anticipatory grief of losing one to a fall/rockfall, which has therefore never happened. see no problem w belford/oxford, and if i recall your post correctly that would allow additional acclimation time. other no-brainers would include sherman, culebra, castle, bierstadt (probably not bierstadt/evans), antero, and maybe shavano/tagebuache so long as you stay on the standard route and don't take the shortcut descent down the valley to the east which was jammed with deadfall even before all the beetlekill. (i did exactly that and got away with it, but never again.) i carry a dog litter (around $40 on amazon) with webbing straps which allows 2 people to readily carry any of my critters, who weigh 50, 60 and 85 pounds, on all my local hikes--but i have yet to need it. these are CO dogs who live at 8700', so acclimation has never been an issue. hope this helps--doc.
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

My dog (who I must admit continues to impress me with her climbing ability) didn't hesitate at Missouri and actually did way better on the scree than myself. She only weighs 45 pounds tho and wears a ruffwear pack with a suitcase handle so I can pick her up easily if need be with one hand. We also have a fidopro rescue harness for her if we ever need it after an accident skiing this past winter. Check out her list of climbs on here @pepperpuppinaround and feel free to dm me if you have any more questions.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

docinco wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:09 pm harness and leash are a must, along w dog booties for scree and talus. a good dog pack can substitute for harness and allow carrying a walmart el cheapo synthetic child's sleeping bag. then i started peak-bagging, but after a few walkups--handies/sunshine/redcloud/grays/torreys--decided that the joy of bringing my best friends was more than offset by the anticipatory grief of losing one to a fall/rockfall, which has therefore never happened. see no problem w belford/oxford, and if i recall your post correctly that would allow additional acclimation time.
Thanks for your comments. All those items you mention we got esp those booties which except for snow fields (no grip -- nearly pulled me down and him on a snow field on Sherman) mitigates potential paw injury. Should be fully acclimated by belford/oxford. Driving in from midwest and heading to San Luis Peak for an easy hike and a couple days camping and breathing thin air.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I do curls with my 35 pound dog with a suitcase handle when I’m hiking just get and an extra pump in
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Some incredible dog owners here and true examples of what can he open if you properly train and acclimatize a dog. I seriously don’t want anyone to take my posts as “f**k all dog owners who hike 14ers” I just wanted to say it takes some serious time to for dog comfortably summit a peak and it’s not for all dogs everywhere. As a dog owner myself i want all these boys to be cozy.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

OldDude wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 am Arriving in CO next week with my lab for an extended period BPing and doing a few 14ers. He's experienced and in his prime but looking at MO's NW ridge route images 13 and 14 I'm a bit concerned about the crux -- more so coming down. Can't tell but how high is that area needed to ascend and descend? Looks to be to high to jump down, yes? What about going around on the downside? He's 85 lbs and I'm not lifting him. Thx.
It looks like the original question has been hijacked by “whether a dog can be rescued”, “whether they are fit enough” etc
To the OP, yes, as far as the technical nature, a black lab should have no problem with Missouri. My buddy took his St Bernard up Missouri twice and my 80lb boxer also had no issues with the terrain.

Now, is your dog acclimated, in shape, all that other crap others have brought up, that’s on you. Hope that helps.