My Lab on Missouri Concern

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: My Lab on Missouri Concern

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Unpopular opinion I think you should almost never bring a dog on 14er. There are a million ways for them to get hurt and they can’t tell you “my head hurts I think I might be getting altitude sickness”. Same thing goes for skiing with a dog running next to you. Just this last winter I saw a dog get both back Legs sliced open by a skier who wanted to look sweet for the gram.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:27 pm Unpopular opinion I think you should almost never bring a dog on 14er. There are a million ways for them to get hurt and they can’t tell you “my head hurts I think I might be getting altitude sickness”. Same thing goes for skiing with a dog running next to you. Just this last winter I saw a dog get both back Legs sliced open by a skier who wanted to look sweet for the gram.
HYOH
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:27 pm Unpopular opinion I think you should almost never bring a dog on 14er. There are a million ways for them to get hurt and they can’t tell you “my head hurts I think I might be getting altitude sickness”. Same thing goes for skiing with a dog running next to you. Just this last winter I saw a dog get both back Legs sliced open by a skier who wanted to look sweet for the gram.
You're right, that is both unpopular and very much an opinion.
MaxmimumMills4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

stephakett wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:36 pm
HYOH
yaktoleft13 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:39 pm
You're right, that is both unpopular and very much an opinion.
He asked an online forum for opinions lol
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Sorry, you're right, I gave an objective response. My bad.

An opinion would have been "your opinion is a bad one and you should feel bad."
MaxmimumMills4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

https://www.lonetreevet.com/blog/can-pe ... -sickness/

Took me 3 seconds to google. This vet says don’t do it unless your dog is acclimated and well trained.
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 pm https://www.lonetreevet.com/blog/can-pe ... -sickness/

Took me 3 seconds to google. This vet says don’t do it unless your dog is acclimated and well trained.
Yeah, but like, duh? Of course not. But how does that advice translate to "almost never bring a dog on a 14er"?

That being said, I don't bring my dog on many 14ers, far too crowded. 13ers, on the other hand, are dog paradises
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:06 pm
MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 pm https://www.lonetreevet.com/blog/can-pe ... -sickness/

Yeah, but like, duh? Of course not. But how does that advice translate to "almost never bring a dog on a 14er"?

That being said, I don't bring my dog on many 14ers, far too crowded. 13ers, on the other hand, are dog paradises
Or maybe just leave it at "know your dog, make an informed decision that suits your dog"?

I don't have to worry about such nonsense, I'm the proud owner of a Mountain Pug. He scales the heights (2m/hr), and on technical terrain I can stuff him into a crack and girth hitch his chubby body. Great pro on 5th class terrain.

-Tom
MaxmimumMills4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:06 pm

You might think that this is obvious but almost nobody acclimatizes their dog properly. They just drive from Texas and roll up Quandry. You sound like a good hiker and a good dog owner but just look at this article from a week ago- people don’t understand what their dogs can do and it ends up as a disaster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/denver.cbs ... ike/%3Famp
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:24 pm
You might think that this is obvious but almost nobody acclimatizes their dog properly. They just drive from Texas and roll up Quandry.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/denver.cbs ... ike/%3Famp
Funny, the article said nothing about the dogs coming from Texas. Or about poor acclimatizing. Huh.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

OldDude wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 am Appreciate the feedback. I think I'll do MO sans dog. What's you opinion for him on Belford and Oxford via Elkhead pass route -- if it's still there after hearing of slides last week?
Bel/Ox would be no problem for a dog, via the pass or the standard Belford route.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:12 pm
OldDude wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 am Appreciate the feedback. I think I'll do MO sans dog. What's you opinion for him on Belford and Oxford via Elkhead pass route -- if it's still there after hearing of slides last week?
Bel/Ox would be no problem for a dog, via the pass or the standard Belford route.
Thot that question slipped thru the cracks so thanks. I was thinking of the pass route vs standard not for the dog but for my battered knees.