My Lab on Missouri Concern

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

My Lab on Missouri Concern

Post by OldDude »

Arriving in CO next week with my lab for an extended period BPing and doing a few 14ers. He's experienced and in his prime but looking at MO's NW ridge route images 13 and 14 I'm a bit concerned about the crux -- more so coming down. Can't tell but how high is that area needed to ascend and descend? Looks to be to high to jump down, yes? What about going around on the downside? He's 85 lbs and I'm not lifting him. Thx.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My Lab on Missouri Concern

Post by climbingcue »

85 lbs is the biggest concern. If he is injured you are not going to be able to carry him down. I personally think the best size hiking dog is 35-45 lbs, big enough to hike but small enough to get them out if they get hurt.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
OldDude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 am 85 lbs is the biggest concern. If he is injured you are not going to be able to carry him down. I personally think the best size hiking dog is 35-45 lbs, big enough to hike but small enough to get them out if they get hurt.
Injury is always a concern but risk we take and I carry the harness in that event. Still want intel on that crux.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have been up there 4 times, but never with a dog. It is off camber for a bit, I could see it being tricky for most dogs. I don't know how agile your dog is. Hopefully someone that has had a dog up there will be able to give you a better answer.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

my dog weighs about half as much as i do- i did not take him through the crux on MO. while he is a better climber than i am (with built in traction) i felt really REALLY uncomfortable guiding him across that super bare scree slope. my responsibility to rescue him in the event of a slide was not worth it to me.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
OldDude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

Appreciate the feedback. I think I'll do MO sans dog. What's you opinion for him on Belford and Oxford via Elkhead pass route -- if it's still there after hearing of slides last week?
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Depends on how good of a climber your dog is. My dog had no problems with Missouri's crux (3 years old at the time 55lb, Brittany), but he's a class 3 climber. You know your dog better than anyone, so definitely your call. But if you're wondering if the mountain can be done comfortably by a dog, absolutely
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Missouri's south ridge is easier but longer than the standard northwest ridge, consisting of all trail up and over Elkhead Pass, tundra towards Iowa Peak, and then scree and talus going up the ridge. It would be a better alternative for a dog.
OldDude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 am Depends on how good of a climber your dog is. My dog had no problems with Missouri's crux (3 years old at the time 55lb, Brittany), but he's a class 3 climber. You know your dog better than anyone, so definitely your call. But if you're wondering if the mountain can be done comfortably by a dog, absolutely
He's joined me on the 14 I've done but if you look at the list you'll see they're basically walkups with minimal boulder or climbing required. Stamina and persistence to summit are his strong suits. Redcloud and Sunshine was a loooong day for him prob b/c we did Handies day before. I'll have to make an assessment when the time comes. I'm boarding him for a week in Salida while I do a several I don't want him to deal with -- Harvard-Columbia combo, Challenger-Kit Carson.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

Harvard & Columbia I absolutely wouldn't bring a dog on. But Missouri really shouldn't be a problem. The move you're talking about shouldn't be bad for a large dog. Worst case scenario is you put him in the harness for a minute. I don't remember if there's a way around it, but generally speaking the route is the route for a reason. The scree slope I wouldn't give a second thought to. With four natural points of contact dogs don't have any trouble with those kinds of things.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

OldDude wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 am Arriving in CO next week with my lab for an extended period BPing and doing a few 14ers. He's experienced and in his prime but looking at MO's NW ridge route images 13 and 14 I'm a bit concerned about the crux -- more so coming down. Can't tell but how high is that area needed to ascend and descend? Looks to be to high to jump down, yes? What about going around on the downside? He's 85 lbs and I'm not lifting him. Thx.
Good point about carrying a dog out. A few decades ago, I made the mistake of taking an old 60 lb. dog on a hike, got several miles in, and he just decided, "I can't do this any more." I was in my twenties at the time, and managed to carry him out (after an unplanned overnight feeding a fire), but now, at 65, I don't think I could do it. My next dog after the one I carried out, was a Lab mix of similar weight, and she could handle pretty much everything I could, up to and including class 3, and was the most cold-tolerant dog I have had. Fortunately, I never had to carry her, but I quit taking her on hikes when she started to show signs of age.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

teamdonkey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:11 pm Harvard & Columbia I absolutely wouldn't bring a dog on. But Missouri really shouldn't be a problem. The move you're talking about shouldn't be bad for a large dog. Worst case scenario is you put him in the harness for a minute. I don't remember if there's a way around it, but generally speaking the route is the route for a reason. The scree slope I wouldn't give a second thought to. With four natural points of contact dogs don't have any trouble with those kinds of things.
As to loose scree slopes or other slippery stuff, I agree that four legs makes them much easier for dogs than for most humans. You do need to be careful about taking them where a loose rock could endanger other hikers though, as a dog simply doesn't understand the need to be careful about that.