Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Locked
timisimaginary
Posts: 454
Joined: 11/19/2017
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by timisimaginary » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm

nunns wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:47 am
rijaca wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:24 pm


Too soon for a Columbine joke?
Don't go there!
Yeah, I don't think it will ever be time for a Columbine joke.

Sean Nunn
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:

Code: Select all

t = ([365 * 10(ln x)] / [(1 - d/C) * a] * 10q)
    __________________________________________
                    (1 - H)
where t = time until funniness, in days
x = number of victims
d = distance of the jokemaker/audience from the location of the tragedy, in miles
C = circumference of the earth
a = average victim age
q = outrageousness quotient, ranging from .1 to 1.0 (for example, a simple murder committed by an insane person might have a q = 0.1, whereas a mass murder involving torture or burning alive of people motivated by racist or political ideology might rate around q = 0.8, and violence towards animals rates somewhere above 0.9 )
and H = # of nazi holocausts involved

by my calculations, Columbine became suitable for jokes around September 2003. 9/11 will be ok to joke about approximately 108 years from now, and Holocaust jokes will be funny sometime after the end of time.
social distancing since the day i was born...
Ptglhs
Posts: 1196
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Ptglhs » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm

timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:
Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
timisimaginary
Posts: 454
Joined: 11/19/2017
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by timisimaginary » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm
timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:
Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
i can't decide if this comment proves or disproves my theorem.
social distancing since the day i was born...
pvnisher
Posts: 1448
Joined: 9/29/2006
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by pvnisher » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:24 pm
Too soon for a Columbine joke?
Ptglhs wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm
Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
User avatar
sigepnader
Posts: 197
Joined: 10/17/2011
14ers:summits17 
13ers:summits45 winter1 

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by sigepnader » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:46 pm
timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:
Thanks Tim. I guess every problem does have a Final Solution after all.
You’re an insufferable jerk, aren’t you? I sincerely hope we’ve never shared nor will share time on the same mountain.
User avatar
spiderman
Posts: 803
Joined: 9/26/2011
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by spiderman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:46 pm

timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm
you can actually determine the precise number of days before a tragedy can be joked about with this simple formula:

Code: Select all

t = ([365 * 10(ln x)] / [(1 - d/C) * a] * 10q)
    __________________________________________
                    (1 - H)
I get about a dozen years before Covid-19 becomes funny. Sad but probably true.
Ptglhs
Posts: 1196
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Ptglhs » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm

pvnisher wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 pm
For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
Garbage in, garbage out. Parse through the forums and read how people have told me to kill myself, that I deserve to be alone, that I'm crazy, that no one will ever love me, that I deserve to be homeless, etc, and you're surprised I have a negative opinion of others?

You created an entire poll and thread to see how many people agreed with you that I was in the wrong and a bad person for telling someone else to follow a store's policies to their own advantage. I made a couple of jokes to lighten the mood. But sure, I'm the one who lacks decency.

The people who have reached out to me in PMs I've had a dialogue with them, and genrally we either come to an understanding or actually go on a hike together. But that takes effort and tolerating discomfort for growth. Mocking, insults, and treating someone from the internet as a virtual leper is lazy and fun, if you're a bad person.
User avatar
sigepnader
Posts: 197
Joined: 10/17/2011
14ers:summits17 
13ers:summits45 winter1 

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by sigepnader » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm
pvnisher wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 pm
For someone who complains about how people don't care about you, and the general insensitivities of people toward their fellow humans, you show a shocking lack of empathy, consideration, and just plain decency.
Garbage in, garbage out. Parse through the forums and read how people have told me to kill myself, that I deserve to be alone, that I'm crazy, that no one will ever love me, that I deserve to be homeless, etc, and you're surprised I have a negative opinion of others?

You created an entire poll and thread to see how many people agreed with you that I was in the wrong and a bad person for telling someone else to follow a store's policies to their own advantage. I made a couple of jokes to lighten the mood. But sure, I'm the one who lacks decency.

The people who have reached out to me in PMs I've had a dialogue with them, and genrally we either come to an understanding or actually go on a hike together. But that takes effort and tolerating discomfort for growth. Mocking, insults, and treating someone from the internet as a virtual leper is lazy and fun, if you're a bad person.

Jokes to lighten the mood? Are you serious, Clark?
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 3063
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by highpilgrim » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Can’t we all just get along?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
User avatar
sigepnader
Posts: 197
Joined: 10/17/2011
14ers:summits17 
13ers:summits45 winter1 

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by sigepnader » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Off topic..on purpose.

I’m watching The Big Lebowski for the first time ever.

I’m way behind. This s**t is fantastic.
Ptglhs
Posts: 1196
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Ptglhs » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:44 pm

sigepnader wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm
Jokes to lighten the mood? Are you serious, Clark?
Yes. Name's not Clark.

The Final Solution quip is a line from a comedy song by Steven Lynch about how he thinks his girlfriend's a Nazi.

This thread started because someone shot a dog out of what I can only imagine is vigilantism at best and sadism at worst. Next to that, joking about a mass shooting is pretty low key. As long as you're nice to them and want to spend time with them you can build a relationship with a dog. People, not so much.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by CaptCO » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 pm

I thought millennials were the only Americans getting soft..
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Locked