Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by ker0uac »

If the dog owner shot the other person, would that be legitimate self defense? One could argue that the other person threatened you and discharged a weapon at you but missed and hit your dog, so you were forced to use deadly force.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

LURE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:17 pm
SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:12 pm
osprey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm

It is perfectly legal for ranchers to shoot dogs harassing their livestock.
Also legal for the guard dogs of livestock on public grazing permits to defend their flock. If you encounter a sheep herd, say like the ones around Uncompahgre, get your dog on a leash. Fast. Those guard dogs don't play. Interesting to note that the Wilderness Areas where the law only requires voice control are also the ones that allow for the most livestock. That's probably not a coincidence.
to say those dogs mess around is an understatement. in an area i hunt i've had one jump into the road and attempt to block my car as i was trying to drive up a county road. its herd was off the road not a 100 yards away and even though they were fenced in a pasture, that dog stood it's ground for a truck
You should have run over the dog, it was breaking the law by being offleash on a county road
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

LURE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:09 pm
osprey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm
teamdonkey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am The article almost trips over itself trying to communicate that they only have 1 side of the story. Just the tone of the reporting makes me wonder what the other side is.

But like others, I'm struggling to think of a realistic scenario here where it's ok to shoot an un-leashed dog. Come on man.
It is perfectly legal for ranchers to shoot dogs harassing their livestock.
it's also legal for any certified peace officer in the state of colorado (but most specifically CPW officers) to shoot a dog harassing wildlife

people forget this. and the legal definition of wildlife harassment is quite broad
there we have it, mystery solved. The man was clearly a rancher or peace officer stopping this dog from harassing livestock and/or wildlife. Good job internet!
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

crossfitter wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am If you don't want your dog shot, either keep them on leash or under voice control, meaning you don't have to scream and chase after them to stay near you. Yet another problem easily solved via personal responsibility.
I disagree. I would say if you dont want your dog shot, pack heat when you go hiking, and shoot first whenever someone threats to shoot your dog.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm Leash laws are designed for the common good in areas where encountering other users (and user groups) is likely. That the same law governs both the Mt. Bierstadt standard trail and the tundra slog up Grey Wolf, however, is a flaw inherent to such blanket legislation, and I have no issue with exercising common sense.
What part of your reading of wilderness leash laws leads you to believe that their sole purpose is to protect other people using the wilderness? If you don't agree with being governed a certain way then you're right to challenge citizens and legislators to create a better model of governance. Murica! But what you shouldn't do is just break the law whenever you feel like it and then spray about it on the innertubez. And you definitely shouldn't suffer injury, personal or property, while knowingly breaking the law and then claim it was someone else's fault. Cuz that's a dead end street, legally speaking...
Where ever you are... There you are.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 pm
crossfitter wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am If you don't want your dog shot, either keep them on leash or under voice control, meaning you don't have to scream and chase after them to stay near you. Yet another problem easily solved via personal responsibility.
I disagree. I would say if you dont want your dog shot, pack heat when you go hiking, and shoot first whenever someone threats to shoot your dog.
@bill is it necessary to have members like this on the forum?
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:23 pm
LURE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:17 pm
SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Also legal for the guard dogs of livestock on public grazing permits to defend their flock. If you encounter a sheep herd, say like the ones around Uncompahgre, get your dog on a leash. Fast. Those guard dogs don't play. Interesting to note that the Wilderness Areas where the law only requires voice control are also the ones that allow for the most livestock. That's probably not a coincidence.
to say those dogs mess around is an understatement. in an area i hunt i've had one jump into the road and attempt to block my car as i was trying to drive up a county road. its herd was off the road not a 100 yards away and even though they were fenced in a pasture, that dog stood it's ground for a truck
You should have run over the dog, it was breaking the law by being offleash on a county road
then tracked down the owner and run them down also. Laws are laws.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Still not taking sides on this story. But since its wandered into the leash laws/restraint wilderness...while hiking above treeline I've seen:

Off-leash dogs get into a fight with on-leash dogs. Voice commands were useless.

Off-leash dogs get into fights with other off-leash dogs. Voice commands were useless.

Off-leash dogs jumping on other hikers. Excited and happy? Yes. Welcome? Not so much.

An off-leash dog wildly chase goats near the ridge on Greys. So nutzo it nearly leaped off the cliff with them. Other hikers called to the owner to put the dog on a leash. His response, "Oh really? And what are YOU going to do about it?!"

Both leashed and off-leash dogs steal another hiker's food (including mine!). The dog and hiker did not know each other.

Off-leash dogs racing ahead of other climbers and raining rocks down on them.

Off-leash dogs chasing goats on Bierstadt and Quandary.

Off-leash dogs wandering aimlessly, obviously separated from owner.

A dog followed me down from Castle/Conundrum from the upper 4x4 parking/road. I searched for hours for owner with no luck. Dog followed me back to vehicle. Getting dark. I took it to Aspen and found some place that hosts lost dogs. Sure ruined my day!

Owners searching for their lost Fido. Searching for hours. Some eventually went back to their vehicles with no luck. Not sure how these events ended.

So, there you go. Draw your own conclusions.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm Leash laws are designed for the common good in areas where encountering other users (and user groups) is likely. That the same law governs both the Mt. Bierstadt standard trail and the tundra slog up Grey Wolf, however, is a flaw inherent to such blanket legislation, and I have no issue with exercising common sense.
I believe leash laws are also in place to prevent dogs from harassing wildlife in wilderness areas.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 pm
What part of your reading of wilderness leash laws leads you to believe that their sole purpose is to protect other people using the wilderness? If you don't agree with being governed a certain way then you're right to challenge citizens and legislators to create a better model of governance. Murica! But what you shouldn't do is just break the law whenever you feel like it and then spray about it on the innertubez. And you definitely shouldn't suffer injury, personal or property, while knowingly breaking the law and then claim it was someone else's fault. Cuz that's a dead end street, legally speaking...
I keep my dog on leash most of the time. When I don't, it's either in an area where the law requires only voice control or where I'm virtually guaranteed not to encounter another soul, or both. I'll sleep OK tonight. Enjoy always going exactly the posted speed limit, I guess?

EDIT: Also to address the point above, yes, I use a leash when wildlife is near. Including marmots and pikas. I've also, again, invested a lot of time and energy into training. She's either off leash, near me and on good behavior, or she's on a leash. It's really not that hard, y'all.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 pm
Much as I hate to admit, I agree with crossfitta on this one. Keep your dog on leash, no problem at all. If your aggressive pooch comes up to me, I'm likely to thump him with a trekking pole. Or bear spray him. A gun seems to be overkill, but that's just me.

People with dogs think everyone else should love them as well. It's comical. My brother, a doggie lover, lets his dogs lick his lips, playing kissie. Tells them to give him a kiss. TRAINED HIM TO DO IT ON COMMAND. Clearly he's too addled to understand the dog was just licking it's own ass minutes before.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm Here's some additional info from another news site

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... ake-county
"Boxer/Bull Terrier mix."
Says a lot.

Lesson for gun owners. If you dicharge your gun tell the police so you get your side of the story in first.