Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Locked
User avatar
SurfNTurf
Posts: 1878
Joined: 8/20/2009
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 114 9
Trip Reports (48)
Contact:

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by SurfNTurf »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am But having your dog of leash in a wilderness area is illegal. No question about that. The shooting piece of the argument can be viewed as being more muddy but the leash part is crystal clear.
Not to be this guy, but...

ACTUALLY, that's not true. Several of Colorado's wilderness areas, by law, only require voice control. The Weminuche is one.

Not that it really applies to this incident, where a leash law did exist.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
User avatar
Oman
Posts: 1020
Joined: 10/4/2006
14ers: 57
Contact:

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Oman »

Let's stir the pot!

How many pro-gun, anti-dog-shooting people on this thread are also pro-gun, pro-people shooting in Kenosha?
User avatar
Cruiser
Posts: 1971
Joined: 11/25/2005
14ers: 50
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Cruiser »

SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 am I hike with my dog almost every weekend, and I let her off leash often... I usually only let her off leash on 13ers above treeline.
Are these places above treeline on 13ers in wilderness areas that have leash laws? Cuz I feel like your online persona here at 14ers.com is one of a good guy who follows LNT principles and takes time to mentor others. But then to pop on here and tell everyone that you freely break the rules on a regular basis diminishes the value of those contributions because it serves to discredit an otherwise strong voice for the 14er community. I'm no legislator but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the wilderness rules regarding leashing pets weren't exclusively designed to protect other wilderness users from dog bites. So the mere fact that you're mostly alone when you break the law doesn't make it more defensible.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Lioness
Posts: 127
Joined: 7/16/2020
14ers: List not added

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Lioness »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:34 am Being pro dog and pro 2nd, I cannot believe this low life POS would do such a thing. I hope he gets the book thrown at him

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMihQ ... id=US%3Aen
Was the dog like Lassie or Cujo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5632065
User avatar
crossfitter
Posts: 897
Joined: 7/8/2009
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by crossfitter »

If you don't want your dog shot, either keep them on leash or under voice control, meaning you don't have to scream and chase after them to stay near you. Yet another problem easily solved via personal responsibility.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by CaptCO »

If you’re going to bring another variable into the debate, please let it be an educated one. Thanks
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
Jon Frohlich
Posts: 2445
Joined: 10/14/2005
14ers: 58
13ers: 154 3
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Jon Frohlich »

seriously.jpg
seriously.jpg (161.05 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
johnlantz
Posts: 4
Joined: 8/14/2013
14ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by johnlantz »

I wonder who appointed that man judge, jury, and executioner. To me, this is just another indication that there are too many guns in the world.

Hoping the dog full recovers.
User avatar
SurfNTurf
Posts: 1878
Joined: 8/20/2009
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 114 9
Trip Reports (48)
Contact:

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by SurfNTurf »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 am
SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 am I hike with my dog almost every weekend, and I let her off leash often... I usually only let her off leash on 13ers above treeline.
Are these places above treeline on 13ers in wilderness areas that have leash laws? Cuz I feel like your online persona here at 14ers.com is one of a good guy who follows LNT principles and takes time to mentor others. But then to pop on here and tell everyone that you freely break the rules on a regular basis diminishes the value of those contributions because it serves to discredit an otherwise strong voice for the 14er community. I'm no legislator but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the wilderness rules regarding leashing pets weren't exclusively designed to protect other wilderness users from dog bites. So the mere fact that you're mostly alone when you break the law doesn't make it more defensible.
I don't really know where to start wading through this, but, uh, I've always been vocal about leash laws being blanket legislation that exist to manage popular trails while ignoring the existence of responsible dog owners (admittedly rare in Colorado). Enacting a leash law is easier than, for example, running an off-leash program like Boulder's. So that's what cash- and resource-strapped organizations like the U.S. Forest Service do. Leash laws are designed for the common good in areas where encountering other users (and user groups) is likely. That the same law governs both the Mt. Bierstadt standard trail and the tundra slog up Grey Wolf, however, is a flaw inherent to such blanket legislation, and I have no issue with exercising common sense.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Lioness
Posts: 127
Joined: 7/16/2020
14ers: List not added

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Lioness »

I was bit by a dog when a child.
When in Colorado I was charged by a boxer dog at a campground.
Two other occasions I was charged by dogs while on a trail.
When I see a dog off leashe I ask the owner to hold their dog. I don't get into a discussion about it.

I hope none of this happens to you.
User avatar
douglas
Posts: 320
Joined: 6/13/2010
14ers: 46
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by douglas »

Oman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am Let's stir the pot!

How many pro-gun, anti-dog-shooting people on this thread are also pro-gun, pro-people shooting in Kenosha?
Let’s not
osprey
Posts: 266
Joined: 5/30/2011
14ers: 49 14
13ers: 104 19
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by osprey »

teamdonkey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am The article almost trips over itself trying to communicate that they only have 1 side of the story. Just the tone of the reporting makes me wonder what the other side is.

But like others, I'm struggling to think of a realistic scenario here where it's ok to shoot an un-leashed dog. Come on man.
It is perfectly legal for ranchers to shoot dogs harassing their livestock.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Locked