Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
johnlantz
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by johnlantz »

I wonder who appointed that man judge, jury, and executioner. To me, this is just another indication that there are too many guns in the world.

Hoping the dog full recovers.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 am
SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 am I hike with my dog almost every weekend, and I let her off leash often... I usually only let her off leash on 13ers above treeline.
Are these places above treeline on 13ers in wilderness areas that have leash laws? Cuz I feel like your online persona here at 14ers.com is one of a good guy who follows LNT principles and takes time to mentor others. But then to pop on here and tell everyone that you freely break the rules on a regular basis diminishes the value of those contributions because it serves to discredit an otherwise strong voice for the 14er community. I'm no legislator but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the wilderness rules regarding leashing pets weren't exclusively designed to protect other wilderness users from dog bites. So the mere fact that you're mostly alone when you break the law doesn't make it more defensible.
I don't really know where to start wading through this, but, uh, I've always been vocal about leash laws being blanket legislation that exist to manage popular trails while ignoring the existence of responsible dog owners (admittedly rare in Colorado). Enacting a leash law is easier than, for example, running an off-leash program like Boulder's. So that's what cash- and resource-strapped organizations like the U.S. Forest Service do. Leash laws are designed for the common good in areas where encountering other users (and user groups) is likely. That the same law governs both the Mt. Bierstadt standard trail and the tundra slog up Grey Wolf, however, is a flaw inherent to such blanket legislation, and I have no issue with exercising common sense.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

I was bit by a dog when a child.
When in Colorado I was charged by a boxer dog at a campground.
Two other occasions I was charged by dogs while on a trail.
When I see a dog off leashe I ask the owner to hold their dog. I don't get into a discussion about it.

I hope none of this happens to you.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Oman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am Let's stir the pot!

How many pro-gun, anti-dog-shooting people on this thread are also pro-gun, pro-people shooting in Kenosha?
Let’s not
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

teamdonkey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am The article almost trips over itself trying to communicate that they only have 1 side of the story. Just the tone of the reporting makes me wonder what the other side is.

But like others, I'm struggling to think of a realistic scenario here where it's ok to shoot an un-leashed dog. Come on man.
It is perfectly legal for ranchers to shoot dogs harassing their livestock.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

johnlantz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:01 pm I wonder who appointed that man judge, jury, and executioner. To me, this is just another indication that there are too many guns in the world.

Hoping the dog full recovers.
At what point does a person get to defend themselves?
Must the dog draw blood with a bit, for example?
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

osprey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm
teamdonkey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am The article almost trips over itself trying to communicate that they only have 1 side of the story. Just the tone of the reporting makes me wonder what the other side is.

But like others, I'm struggling to think of a realistic scenario here where it's ok to shoot an un-leashed dog. Come on man.
it's also legal for any certified peace officer in the state of colorado (but most specifically CPW officers) to shoot a dog harassing wildlife

people forget this. and the legal definition of wildlife harassment is quite broad
Last edited by LURE on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

If one goes hiking with kids, and they start running offtrail and destroying vegetation and leaving trash behind, should we shoot them too?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Also legal for the guard dogs of livestock on public grazing permits to defend their flock. If you encounter a sheep herd, say like the ones around Uncompahgre, get your dog on a leash. Fast. Those guard dogs don't play. Interesting to note that the Wilderness Areas where the law only requires voice control are also the ones that allow for the most livestock. That's probably not a coincidence.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Here's some additional info from another news site

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... ake-county
PJ88
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

Just curious, how are these off leash laws supposed to be enforced? If these laws are in place in wilderness areas, chances are there is not going to be a ranger or police officer around catching those breaking the rules. The absence of any consequences for the owner makes this something we see broken far too often. I agree with SurfnTurf that when you use common sense it is permissible at times, but common sense is not very common. Shooting the dog seems a bit extreme. It will be interesting to see if more information comes out here.
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

SurfNTurf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Also legal for the guard dogs of livestock on public grazing permits to defend their flock. If you encounter a sheep herd, say like the ones around Uncompahgre, get your dog on a leash. Fast. Those guard dogs don't play. Interesting to note that the Wilderness Areas where the law only requires voice control are also the ones that allow for the most livestock. That's probably not a coincidence.
to say those dogs mess around is an understatement. in an area i hunt i've had one jump into the road and attempt to block my car as i was trying to drive up a county road. its herd was off the road not a 100 yards away and even though they were fenced in a pasture, that dog stood it's ground for a truck