Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by XterraRob »

These pro-leash extremists have gone too far.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

"So I don't carry a gun, because I don't want the people of Mayberry to fear a gun. I'd rather they respect me."

-Andy Griffith
Make wilderness less accessible.
letitbeirie
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letitbeirie »

Also isn't it kind of presumptuous of him not to condier the possibility that she might have a gun too?
NatDog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

Yikes. I normally just quietly judge people when they are hiking with an off-leash dog. But yeah, really hope this guy doesn't get away with this.
jonibabaa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jonibabaa »

What a raging POS. Report it, fines, whatever. There is absolutely no excuse for this.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Another pro dog and pro gun guy here.

It’s a shame the dogs owner wasn’t carrying, too. The shooter needed some lead in his ass. What a piece of s**t.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Hope the dog survives, and the person who did it gets sodomized with a cactus.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ptglhs wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:48 pm Hope the dog survives, and the person who did it gets sodomized with a cactus.
I feel like whenever you are going to post something, just wait like 10 minutes, take a few deep breaths.
You know I love a good inflammatory or provocative post. But just dial it back 2 notches.

Or post it on Reddit.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Damn. This is almost like those people who shot goats on quandary a few years ago. Always one person or people screw ing up for rest of us.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I would like to hear the other side of the story from the hiker who shot the dog. My guess is it didn't go down exactly the way the dog owner claims. I am not saying that the dog deserved to be shot by any means, but it would be interesting to hear both sides before casting too much judgement. Sad situation regardless and hopefully the dog will be ok.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Ptglhs
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

pvnisher wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:37 pm I feel like whenever you are going to post something, just wait like 10 minutes, take a few deep breaths.
You know I love a good inflammatory or provocative post. But just dial it back 2 notches.
This was several notches below what I wanted to say. Everyone thinks they're right, doesn't make any of us special.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Maybe adjust the size of your notches. lol

And for the record, I agree with your sentiment, if not the particulars.