Rattlesnake on 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 12
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Rattlesnake on 14ers?

Post by jibler » Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Climate Change may someday change this dynamic.

Changing ocean levels, climate zones etc.

Oh you'll be dodging snakes all the way up people.

Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 35
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (6)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:12 am

Generally lower elevations, as stated earlier, have more chance for rattlers. Foothills for sure - Morrison, ElDo, Boulder even, Golden for sure. Sunny and warm spots... even be weary of grassy areas and areas covered in sticks - they blend in well. Watch between rocks, don't go sticking your hands in places or letting dogs sniff around a lot where you can't see. Be alert. There are rattlesnake/snake training courses for dogs that may be useful. I've heard good things in general but don't know specific places.

On another note... Someone mentioned finding and keeping one as a pet ... it's a wild animal. Leave it where it is and don't take it out of it's habitat please.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50 21 5
13ers: 292 66 3
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut » Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am

North Table is literally crawling with Rattlers, to the point where I don't think I'd take my dog in the middle of summer after a certain time in the morning. Morrison I'll do if its early, but even then. I've done Morrison enough to know usually where they hide/ sun themselves. It's usually the same 3-4 areas. Basically anywhere in the Golden/Boulder foothills you'll run in to this problem if you go in the middle of the day (Although I've never actually seen one on the Gregory Canyon route up Green).
pfiore1
14ers: 57 38 18
13ers: 182 47 15

Post by pfiore1 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:38 pm

I know some of you were asking about snake aversion training for dogs. This training is in Custer County, not sure about other trainings closer to where many of you all live.

"Snake aversion class for dogs, conducted by Sublime Canine out of AZ. Location: Ezulwini Ranch, Bull Domingo North, June 5th. Cost: $100/dog, $50 for repeats.

To register email: elsvanwoudenberg@gmail.com"

Here is a link to the trainer's website and about the class itself, but in order to register you have to email Els. She is hosting the training at her ranch.

https://www.sublimek9.com/dog-training/ ... snake.html

***Bill M, I am not personally promoting this business, I have no idea who they are. If this post is too much of a promotion then of course delete it. I just found out about this class and remembered several people on this site inquired about such trainings.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
Wilbur Simmons
14ers: List not added

Post by Wilbur Simmons » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:56 am

Thank you very much for the links! I might need this the next time my family and I would go hiking.
jibler
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jibler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm

OK people - I have a great idea

someone should create an App for real-time reporting of rattlesnake encounters at front range parks.

ideally one that you can drill down with maps to pinpoint Exact Location + time of day.

FYI - I just encountered one on the main trail to Goat Mountain on sunday. Like right on the trail as I was descending!! and that's two encounters from me for one summer - a new terrible record.

the other one was hildebrand ranch in june.

WTF - its hazardous out there.

I call upon the younger more tech savvy generation to develop above app -- with of course all proceeds to go to jibler.
XterraRob
14ers: 41 7
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Jibler, you are an internet terrorist.

For the thread, rattlesnakes are harmless on larger trails without much overgrowth. All 14er "main routes" shouldn't experience too much Rattler activity.
mtnkub
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 78 2 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:29 pm

A large percentage of rattlesnake incidents with people involve alcohol. That's what makes me afraid.
jibler
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jibler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:17 pm

recall that a guy died at Mount Galbraith a few years ago because he was too far from trailhead to get medical attention quickly enough.

I'd say this is something to always be aware of during the summer - if you're anywhere in their habitat.

I usually carry an Anti-Snake Stick in the summer - to hopefully whack the snake back from me long enough to get away.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 197 29
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm

mtnkub wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:29 pm
A large percentage of rattlesnake incidents with people involve alcohol. That's what makes me afraid.
The large percentage also involve people messing around with the snake. Leave a snake that you see alone and you will be fine (obviously startling one at close range is an exception, but those are rare).
The Android
14ers: 38
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

It's not something I would be concerned about.

However, I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake near the summit of North Timpanogos (11,700!) in 2014. This is basically one of the tallest points in the central Wasatch range in Utah.
timisimaginary
14ers: 2
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm

jibler wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm
OK people - I have a great idea

someone should create an App for real-time reporting of rattlesnake encounters at front range parks.

ideally one that you can drill down with maps to pinpoint Exact Location + time of day.
there's already an app for that. it's called "a pair of eyes".
social distancing since the day i was born...