Rattlesnake on 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Rattlesnake on 14ers?

Post by lordhelmut »

North Table is literally crawling with Rattlers, to the point where I don't think I'd take my dog in the middle of summer after a certain time in the morning. Morrison I'll do if its early, but even then. I've done Morrison enough to know usually where they hide/ sun themselves. It's usually the same 3-4 areas. Basically anywhere in the Golden/Boulder foothills you'll run in to this problem if you go in the middle of the day (Although I've never actually seen one on the Gregory Canyon route up Green).
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

I know some of you were asking about snake aversion training for dogs. This training is in Custer County, not sure about other trainings closer to where many of you all live.

"Snake aversion class for dogs, conducted by Sublime Canine out of AZ. Location: Ezulwini Ranch, Bull Domingo North, June 5th. Cost: $100/dog, $50 for repeats.

To register email: elsvanwoudenberg@gmail.com"

Here is a link to the trainer's website and about the class itself, but in order to register you have to email Els. She is hosting the training at her ranch.

https://www.sublimek9.com/dog-training/ ... snake.html

***Bill M, I am not personally promoting this business, I have no idea who they are. If this post is too much of a promotion then of course delete it. I just found out about this class and remembered several people on this site inquired about such trainings.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
Wilbur Simmons
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wilbur Simmons »

Thank you very much for the links! I might need this the next time my family and I would go hiking.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK people - I have a great idea

someone should create an App for real-time reporting of rattlesnake encounters at front range parks.

ideally one that you can drill down with maps to pinpoint Exact Location + time of day.

FYI - I just encountered one on the main trail to Goat Mountain on sunday. Like right on the trail as I was descending!! and that's two encounters from me for one summer - a new terrible record.

the other one was hildebrand ranch in june.

WTF - its hazardous out there.

I call upon the younger more tech savvy generation to develop above app -- with of course all proceeds to go to jibler.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Jibler, you are an internet terrorist.

For the thread, rattlesnakes are harmless on larger trails without much overgrowth. All 14er "main routes" shouldn't experience too much Rattler activity.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

A large percentage of rattlesnake incidents with people involve alcohol. That's what makes me afraid.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

recall that a guy died at Mount Galbraith a few years ago because he was too far from trailhead to get medical attention quickly enough.

I'd say this is something to always be aware of during the summer - if you're anywhere in their habitat.

I usually carry an Anti-Snake Stick in the summer - to hopefully whack the snake back from me long enough to get away.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

mtnkub wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:29 pm A large percentage of rattlesnake incidents with people involve alcohol. That's what makes me afraid.
The large percentage also involve people messing around with the snake. Leave a snake that you see alone and you will be fine (obviously startling one at close range is an exception, but those are rare).
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

It's not something I would be concerned about.

However, I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake near the summit of North Timpanogos (11,700!) in 2014. This is basically one of the tallest points in the central Wasatch range in Utah.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

jibler wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm OK people - I have a great idea

someone should create an App for real-time reporting of rattlesnake encounters at front range parks.

ideally one that you can drill down with maps to pinpoint Exact Location + time of day.
there's already an app for that. it's called "a pair of eyes".
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm
jibler wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm OK people - I have a great idea

there's already an app for that. it's called "a pair of eyes".
You seem to have a knack for resuscitating old threads :-D

I hate Summers, too many snakes and people out on the trail
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"