Hiking dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wyyld
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking dog

Post by wyyld »

A leash is a good tool. As well as training for recall. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback which is a great hiking dog for Colorado and in general. I’d get another in a heartbeat.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." - John Muir
BoulderBarb
14ers: 4 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BoulderBarb »

As others have said, lots of training. There are plenty of YouTube videos of training “games” you can play with your dog. I adopted a shelter dog last summer and didn’t have him off leash until he had about 6 months of training. Do short sessions every day, even if it’s 5-10 minutes a few times per day. Mine is a herding breed (Aussie/border collie mix or so they think) and needs a minimum of 2 hours per day of exercise. If you can handle the exercise requirements, this type is great!
dwemp6
14ers: 22  2 
13ers: 24 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwemp6 »

Training is the most important and any dog can learn, if properly trained.

I highly recommend rescuing from a shelter or rescue group. There are so many dogs that need a good home.
Collect memories, not things.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

We got a rescue pit a couple years great and he has been a blast. He loves hikes and even some scrambles. He can get up stuff I wouldn't think possible sometimes (he's a strong guy) and just loves to be outside with us. Due to our pit's past life he has had some issues being off leash around other dogs even after lots of training (he loves people but is about 50/50 with other dogs...not aggressive but has zero social skills which leads to issues), so he stays on leash unless I am really sure we won't come across another dog. Even then we always have an e-collar on him just in case. I know some folks don't like them, but in certain situations they are a fantastic tool, especially when training a dog to be off leash.

IMO any dog with a good amount of energy and the proper training can be a great hiking companion. As others have said, go to a rescue or a shelter and find a dog that is energetic and and friendly, then invest in lots of training. There are lots of good videos available, as well as in person training programs that can make loads of difference for you and your dog whether it be off leash training or simply making a dog bearable on leash. There may be some past baggage with rescues, like what we had to deal with, but that is what makes the end result so much better.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem