Dogs in RMNP

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Dogs in RMNP

Post by madbuck »

A 4 dog-day in Wild Basin today.
Several multi-dog days this summer, especially Gem Lake (my record of 6!), Cow Creek, and Estes Cone.
Years past, I hardly recall seeing any.
Is anyone else noticing a similar trend?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Dogs in RMNP

Post by peter303 »

Only legal in campgrounds and road side stops. Never on trails. Widely ignored as I observe.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/pets.htm
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Have seen many in the Boulderfield on Longs, leashless. There's a no pets sign just a few feet after the trail starts on East Longs Peak TH. What can you do.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Was chased down in Wild Basin by Rangers while snow shoeing to Ouzel Falls. Was really impressive to see them plowing through a waist high meadow to get to us so they could issue the ticket. Wasn't my dog and honestly didn't check the regs because it wasn't my dog, but yeah, no dogs on the trail.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Saw a couple dogs and snakes on east inlet trail this year, and wild basin a couple times.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Not in RMNP but this past summer I saw a couple with a dog in the Narrows in Zion NP. Really irritating.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

Nothing like blatantly disregarding rules!
I've only seen one or two actually, and I'm up there quite a bit.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Does anyone know why they were banned from all NP trails in the first place? I've heard various reasons, but never something definitive.

It's definitely a bummer IMO, but I'm sure many people are happy about it.

I will say that I've talked to a few people who said they took their dogs on trails in RMNP, and had no idea it wasn't allowed. Honestly, I think most people are just stupid, and don't observe the world around them (i.e. "No Dog Signs").
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I predict in the future dogs will be allowed to hike in national parks. I think a lot of rules regarding wilderness will be relaxed....some for business friendly reasons, others to get more people enjoying the outdoors.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

mts4602 wrote:Does anyone know why they were banned from all NP trails in the first place? I've heard various reasons, but never something definitive.

It's definitely a bummer IMO, but I'm sure many people are happy about it.

I will say that I've talked to a few people who said they took their dogs on trails in RMNP, and had no idea it wasn't allowed. Honestly, I think most people are just stupid, and don't observe the world around them (i.e. "No Dog Signs").
Definitely a bummer, but understandable. They were originally banned to prevent dog/wildlife encounters. No matter what dog owners say, wildlife is easily spooked, even by dogs on leash. I go to national parks mostly for the wildlife, so I think its an acceptable trade-off. Especially because there are so many areas you can take your dogs where no one will say a thing.

That said, I think if they eased the restrictions, eventually the wildlife would become accustomed to dogs, much as they have become accustomed to humans.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I sure hope they change the rules to allow them in national parks. Nothing like being closed off from so many hikes due to having a dog, not to mention that you should just forget about many parks altogether since they have additional rules forbidding leaving them in your vehicle while you hike - even if the weather allows for that to happen safely.

They say it's to protect the wildlife, so have leash laws enforced via fines or something, and I'll be happy with having access.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

mts4602 wrote:Does anyone know why they were banned from all NP trails in the first place?
Dogs are allowed in Shenandoah, Cuyahoga, and Acadia national park on trails. I'm sure there are some others that allow them in select areas like Great Sand Dunes NP does.