Dogs in RMNP

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dogs in RMNP

Post by HuskyRunner »

As an aside, not all National Parks prohibit dogs from trails. Used to live in VA. and often took our pups to Shenandoah NP where dogs are allowed: https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/pets.htm
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
JDgreen
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDgreen »

Actually they are legal on the Lilly Mountain Trail. That's it other than parking lots, roadsides etc. on leash.
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

JDgreen wrote:Actually they are legal on the Lilly Mountain Trail. That's it other than parking lots, roadsides etc. on leash.
The Lily Mountain trail is in Roosevelt National Forest, not the Park.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

JDgreen wrote:Actually they are legal on the Lilly Mountain Trail. That's it other than parking lots, roadsides etc. on leash.
There seems to be a good bit of confusion with this. Back in October, we bumped into some friends at Lily Lake who were there with their dog. They chose this location, because aside from having small kids, they were told by somebody who works for the NPS (maybe at the visitors center) that dogs were allowed at Lily Lake. Once at the lake however, there was a sign stating that dogs were prohibited and were reminded of that several times by passing do-gooders. I guess since the above mentions Lily Mountain vs. Lily Lake, but I am wondering if there is a difference in jurisdiction between the Lake and the Mountain? Either way, to get to the mountain, sticking to the main trail from the parking lot, one would have to pass the "no dog" sign. Just curious if anyone has any insight here, as we were all a bit stumped by this back in October.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lily Lake is within RMNP. The Lily Mountain (and trail) is outside the Park.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/ ... s-2016.pdf
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

rijaca wrote:Lily Lake is within RMNP. The Lily Mountain (and trail) is outside the Park.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/ ... s-2016.pdf
Makes sense, thanks Ricky. Tricky though with a dog, since one technically has to use the NPS dog prohibited trail at Lily Lake to access the mountain. One would either have to chance it for 200 feet, or just bushwhack around I guess.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

pbakwin wrote:I'm surprised by this thread. I've spent easily 200+ days in RMNP and I do not remember ever seeing a dog where they aren't allowed. I know the rangers issue plenty of dog tickets, but it seems like mostly a minor issue.
I never really noticed it until once last winter, while back at the Longs TH after a hike of Lady Washington. A younger couple with their dog were reading the rules sign at the start of the trail, and the lady noted "uh oh, there are no dogs allowed up here! Should we go hike somewhere else?" to which her companion (a bro-dacious fellow) replied "I dont give a sh**, the rangers can kiss my ass". I chose not to say anything, as they were without snow shoes so I figured karma would work itself out about 100 yards up the trail. (Deep fresh snow.) So there are always those types of nice people out there. :roll:

pbakwin wrote:Now, out of control dogs in City of Boulder Open Space... that's another matter.
I think I've told this before on this forum, but my favorite (?) dog encounter experience in BOS was hiking along the trail just after leaving the Mesa trailhead when I was slammed in the back by a dog from behind leaping up on me. After stumbling down (was a big dog) I shoved him off of on top of me, at which time the owner about 30 yards back on the trail started screaming at me for shoving her dog. :-s

People are odd. And annoying.

-D
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Jeff Valliere wrote: Makes sense, thanks Ricky. Tricky though with a dog, since one technically has to use the NPS dog prohibited trail at Lily Lake to access the mountain. One would either have to chance it for 200 feet, or just bushwhack around I guess.
The separate, dog-legal, non-RMNP Lily Mountain TH is distinctly to the north of Lily Lake.

It sounds like the rangers possibly could have been more clear, though.

Jeff Valliere wrote: Once at the lake however, there was a sign stating that dogs were prohibited and were reminded of that several times by passing do-gooders.
To my dismay, this is sort of a summary of what I've been seeing more recently: more dogs coupled with a defensive entitlement, despite the rules, where anybody who points it out is dismissed as a 'do gooder', treated as a bad person and ignored for bringing it up.

Constructively, my observed encounters are at non-admission trailheads. Perhaps, next to the abundant No Dog regulations, there could be a pointer to nearby accessible trailes.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I was not involved and thus not very invested, just observed and was wondering.

To clarify, my "do gooder" comment was not necessarily a stance on people in general pointing out NPS regulations nor reflects my stance on dogs in National Parks or entitled dog owners, I was more just being polite in my reference to the people I witnessed that day. Our friend was wrangling 3 small kids and was just near the sign, with the dog on leash. 2 people were a bit overly bothered for just being near and one older fisherman was flat out rude and disrespectful. I am fine with a polite reminder, but these people were being jerks under the guise of saving the planet.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Jeff Valliere wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I was not involved and thus not very invested, just observed and was wondering.
I am fine with a polite reminder, but these people were being jerks under the guise of saving the planet.
Fair enough! I also am not overly invested in being particularly expert at all the accessible trails and regulations.
I am disappointed in people being jerks in general. As a common thread, this are obviously more likely to happen at easily-accessible trailheads. (Which I notice more now with a young kid)
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Yes indeed, amazing the new things we notice now with kids in tow, in populated areas and going at kid pace. Normally, we would just speed through and be off on our own in a matter of minutes, but now at this slower pace and closer proximity, I certainly see things from a different perspective, for good and bad.