Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by MN teleMARKer »

I don't know what the dogs rules are in the DECALIBRON peaks, but I witnessed several dogs off leash this past weekend. I also witnessed several people reach the summit of Bross.

I've followed this forum long enough to know that this thread has the potential to blow up very quickly. What are the odds of this thread breaking 200 posts?
Wake up every day with a purpose
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

adamjm wrote:It's not "wow good job getting a dog up Pyramid."

It's "I'm glad your dog didn't kill someone on Pyramid."

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that kush was smart enough to be cognizant of people below him...but remember, there are a lot of idiots out there.
So you've never loosed a rock down on anyone, Adam? Your post sounds like major projection to me.

I've never heard any reports of someone being injured or killed by rocks knocked down by a dog. However, there are a helluva lot of reports of careless people getting others hurt. Given a choice, I'd rather have a dog climbing above me on a peak like Pyramid.

kushrocks...congrats to you and your dog on Pyramid. What a great peak to do together.
Last edited by Crestoner on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

randalmartin wrote:As someone that has done some volunteer hours on peaks for CFI and talked with owners, the owners always think their dog is different and their pet shouldn't have to be on a leash.
Then don't talk to them.
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

Such a good topic. That being said, i'm not taking a day off work this week to climb LB to avoid the dogs!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

My dogs are usually off leash... I also speed occasionally and roll through stop signs.

JQ
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Hey, great topic! This one has not been discussed before on this site, I'm sure we will all reach agreement.

Some dogs need a leash, some do not. I personally see it as a suggestion that sometimes I follow and sometimes not depending on the circumstances, but I use my better judgement. Same with the speed limit (within reason), rolling a remote stop sign at 5am, the list goes on and on.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

While we are on the topic, what about leash laws for kids? I often times see kids behaving MUCH worse than dogs on the trail (and off the trail) and don't have nearly the discipline and recall of many dogs I know. The parents are usually unconcerned or preoccupied with something else. Of course I am joking about the leash law for kids, but there are many parallels here. It just seems crazy that a well behaved, obedient dog that has recall abilities such that it is on a virtual leash, will be judged the same as dogs that run rampant, chase animals, are aggressive toward other dogs or humans. But of course everyone thinks their dog is good, which ruins it for those whose really are.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

randalmartin wrote: As someone that has done some volunteer hours on peaks for CFI and talked with owners, the owners always think their dog is different and their pet shouldn't have to be on a leash.
First, thank you for your volunteer work.

Sometimes this is absolutely correct. I could come up with numerous examples of this being the case and if one uses observational skills and better judgement, it becomes clear that the majority of dogs are fine off leash, it is the few bad apples that spoil it for everyone unfortunately.
CHWitte
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

XterraRob wrote:
adamjm wrote:
XterraRob wrote: It's the owner's risk if the dog wanders off and is separated.
I'm sorry but this is just wrong. A dog above me on steep loose rock is a risk to me. It was a risk when a huge St. Bernard kicked rocks down towards me on castle, and if I see a dog on anything like that above me I'm making sure the owner has it by the collar until I pass.

It's not "wow good job getting a dog up Pyramid."

It's "I'm glad your dog didn't kill someone on Pyramid."

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that kush was smart enough to be cognizant of people below him...but remember, there are a lot of idiots out there.
And that's different than a human knocking down a rock? I've ran into plenty of people who have knocked rocks down without a warning call. Some even children (should they be banned from climbing?).
Rob, humans certainly have the capacity to yell out a warning when a rock falls and certainly should. I'm yet to hear a dog do the same and dogs move much quicker than humans on the rocks, creating situations where their owner may not see or hear them knock down a rock until it's too late.

I have to agree with "adamjm" on this one. This is simply a matter of common courtesy, safety and respect.
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Crestoner wrote:
randalmartin wrote:As someone that has done some volunteer hours on peaks for CFI and talked with owners, the owners always think their dog is different and their pet shouldn't have to be on a leash.
Then don't talk to them.
It was my job to talk to them.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

XterraRob wrote: And that's different than a human knocking down a rock? I've ran into plenty of people who have knocked rocks down without a warning call. Some even children (should they be banned from climbing?).
Of course not, a rock is a rock. But humans posses the ability to yell out, as well as to take notice of someone below them that may be in the fall line, and take extra care with foot placement. Dogs do not. And yes - if you aren't smart enough to give someone a heads up that a microwave is hurtling towards their head, you should not be climbing.
Crestoner wrote: So you've never loosed a rock down on anyone, Adam?

Sure I have, and I've also seen dogs do it. The difference is I yell my ass off in case anyone is below me (and if I know for a fact someone is below me, I'm very goddamn careful where I put my hands and feet). A dog separated from its owner (or with a stupid owner) does not give you any warning about it, and doesn't care about if rocks fly down or not.
Crestoner wrote:Your post sounds like major projection to me.
Haha. What?
Crestoner wrote: I'd rather have a dog climbing above me on a peak like Pyramid.
Whatever floats your boat.