Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeffR
14ers: 31
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by JeffR » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:10 pm

peter303 wrote:Frankly I avoid introducing any negative emotion in the situation as tempting as it may be.
Dog are masters at reading emotions and reacting, especially of their owners.
Any negativity or anger could escalate.
That's certainly your prerogative.

But there'd be less bad behavior (and I'm not just talking about dogs) if people wouldn't insist on continuing to enable it.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Le Marmot
14ers: List not added

Post by Le Marmot » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 am

Dex wrote:
Well, we definitely should get rid of wind power - Less birds more insects.
https://abcbirds.org/program/wind-energy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's been the great thing about wind power; higher rates, less birds and lower personal guilt. Since al gore says its a good thing, it must be so.
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Jesse M
13ers: 15

Post by Jesse M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I had my first negative experience with two off leash large breed dogs on the Colorado Trail this summer. It has had a large effect on my opinion of off leash hiking, I am now mostly against it. I was put into a situation where I needed to defend myself with my hiking poles and actually hit a dog. Being a dog owner, this sucked! For the rest of the trail, and every trail I have been on since, I fear dogs off leash. Had my dog been with me, the situation could have been much worse, an intact husky on a leash that is very defensive of me. I think people who hike with their dog off leash are selfish and are putting others at risk. I now carry a small canister of pepper spray, not for bears, but for aggressive off leash dogs. I will never be made to feel like that again.

This event took place on segment 12 in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness near the ridge of Waverly Mountain at 11,500+, after hiking 19 miles, it was getting late, and I still had 2 miles to camp at Pine Creek.
Attachments
baddogs.jpg
baddogs.jpg (227.19 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Last edited by Jesse M on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
randalmartin
14ers: 56 1
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Jesse M wrote:I think people who hike with their dog off leash are selfish and are putting others at risk.
+1.

If I had a dollar for every time a dog owner has said, "My dog responds to voice commands.....". Such BS.
Jesse M

Post by Jesse M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:04 pm

randalmartin wrote:
Jesse M wrote:I think people who hike with their dog off leash are selfish and are putting others at risk.
+1.

If I had a dollar for every time a dog owner has said, "My dog responds to voice commands.....". Such BS.
I do believe a well trained dog can be off leash, a well trained dog. Barking is aggression and should be corrected by dog owners. People should never have a legitimate reason to be in fear of an off leash dog, that is not okay. Those who put in the proper training should not be penalized for bad dog owners. If your dog truly "never does that", MAKE A CORRECTION, don't brush it off or justify it with "never does that", they will do it again. It is your responsibility off leash dog walkers!
CUaaron25
14ers: 58 2 4
13ers: 135 2 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CUaaron25 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Jesse M wrote: This event took place on segment 12 in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness near the ridge of Waverly Mountain at 11,500+.
Oh man, that's a bad part of town! I've been warned about segment 12 in the past. Seriously though, that situation does sound like it sucked but perhaps not a reason to leash em all up.

Can we fast forward to the part of this rekindled thread where one guys like: "Dogs suck off leash." And then some bro bro chimes in and he's all like: "Hey man don't blame the dogs, it's the owners who are being irresponsible." Then another hero is like: "This one time on Quandary a dog sneezed on my shoe, can you believe it? Right on the #&%·## shoe!" And then someone finally and out of nowhere, blames it on Obama. #thanksObama
onebyone
14ers: 58 1

Post by onebyone » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I never get nervous when a run into a golden retriever off leash. lol
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58
13ers: 150 3
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Jon Frohlich » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Jesse M wrote:Had my dog been with me, the situation could have been much worse, an intact husky on a leash that is very defensive of me.
Why do you have an intact husky?
Jesse M

Post by Jesse M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Jesse M wrote:Had my dog been with me, the situation could have been much worse, an intact husky on a leash that is very defensive of me.
Why do you have an intact husky?
None of your business
Jesse M

Post by Jesse M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:34 pm

@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!

@one those were not Goldens, but Goldens bite many people every year.
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!
That sucks. Do you have more to add to the story concerning what happened?

Was the owner around for either the attack on you or the other hiker?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jesse M

Post by Jesse M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Scott P wrote:
Jesse M wrote:@CU just so you know, I found out later that the dogs had attacked another thru hiker who needed stitches on his FACE and NECK!
That sucks. Do you have more to add to the story concerning what happened?

Was the owner around for either the attack on you or the other hiker?
The owner was camping at Pine Creek that night, at least 1.6 miles and 1,200 ft downhill from the dogs. I arrived around 7 and they were asking hikers if they had seen their dogs. I expressed my concern and disgust with the situation. I don't know much about the attack on the other hiker, I heard from other people I met a few days later on the trail. I did see the owners at the highway 50 crossing, over 50 miles away without their dogs.