Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
procomsignathid
14ers: List not added

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by procomsignathid » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 am

My point being that if the dog isn't hurting anything, why all the fuss?

In 30 years of hiking I think of run into 2 aggressive dogs, and both were leashed.
CHWitte
14ers: 58
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

procomsignathid wrote:My point being that if the dog isn't hurting anything, why all the fuss?

In 30 years of hiking I think of run into 2 aggressive dogs, and both were leashed.
Nobody can predict whether a dog is going to hurt anything or anyone, not even the dog owner.
(promotional text removed)
oldschool
14ers: 56 6
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 am

Control that which you can. Let go of that which you can't. As you come across dog owners that frequently do not have their dogs on a leash, you can berate them all you want, preach to them all you want, quote the law, write them a ticket, yell at the top of your lungs. Guess what. You'll do what you want, they'll do the same.

Do you think yelling at them will change their behavior? It might if they're truly unaware of the rules. If they're aware of the rules but choose to disregard them, then what? You have no control over the behavior of others.

By all means, speak up if you see it fit and just. Do the same to the people that litter, poop in the woods improperly, park in areas they aren't supposed to, and countless other things. Be prepared to have someone tell you the STFU and mind your own business.

Why the "poor" attitude on my part? Too much time in the CO mtns with douchebags? Could be. Too many people just preach back about minding their own business? Maybe. If I come across a dog, or any situation I don't feel good about, what am I gonna do? I can choose to walk around the dog, not ascend the slope because there is an unleashed dog above me, turn around, confront the owner.

The choice is mine. The dog owner has made his.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
procomsignathid

Post by procomsignathid » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 am

You could say that about people too...

I guess in the end, it's sort of pointless to argue about as I don't think either side will convince the other. There will be good and bad stories.

One thing you can be sure of is that there will always be some unleashed dogs on trails, regardless of the law (for better or worse).
SkaredShtles

Post by SkaredShtles » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:57 am

I just tell them there is a ranger coming up the trail. They usually thank me and put their dog on leash.
oldschool
14ers: 56 6
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 am

SkaredShtles wrote:I just tell them there is a ranger coming up the trail. They usually thank me and put their dog on leash.
+1
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 57 12 24
13ers: 679 40 35
Trip Reports (64)

Post by Chicago Transplant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:06 am

SkaredShtles wrote:I just tell them there is a ranger coming up the trail. They usually thank me and put their dog on leash.
I have had a few people see the uniform coming and freak out and scramble to get their dog on leash. They are pretty relieved when they find out I am just a volunteer and can't issue a ticket :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
CHWitte
14ers: 58
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 am

procomsignathid wrote:You could say that about people too...
So dogs are of the same importance and on the same level as humans? We have really digressed in the evolution of man...
(promotional text removed)
procomsignathid

Post by procomsignathid » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 am

CHWitte wrote:
So dogs are of the same importance and on the same level as humans? We have really digressed in the evolution of man...
If you just want an argument, I can make more inflammatory posts so you don't have to reach as much ;)
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58 1 15
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:19 am

I often wonder, what percentage of people in these threads who boast about what they would say on the trail to somebody with a dog off leash, actually say something, or just say something while hiding behind a screen name on a computer? I am mainly curious because it seems to happen disproportionately more often online, yet having hiked/run thousands of miles and summited hundreds (or more) peaks with my dog, 99% of the time being off leash, I can't recall even one negative exchange with a fellow hiker (OK, I can remember a group of foreigners freaking out that our dog was off leash, but we were hiking an off leash trail in Boulder and our dog was skirting around them not wanting to be bothered. It was definitely cultural and not the least bit situational).
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58 1 15
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am

CHWitte wrote:
Yep, that is the core of the argument here, you figured us out :lol:
kushrocks
14ers: 58 24
13ers: 52 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 am

Sophie topping out on the red gully of Crestone Peak in winter . . . whoops I forgot her leash again.
Attachments
Sophie Curshing in winter.jpg
Sophie Curshing in winter.jpg (144.44 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."