Dog Doo

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dog Doo

Post by timisimaginary »

Vacas Valley wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:56 pm And after a 1/4 mile, just leave the s**t on the trail? I’m not sure I understand.
basically, saying dog owners should copy horse owners.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

where i live, dogs need to be licensed. and you need to prove they've had their rabies shot to get a license.
maybe we should also require dog owners watch a basic video on poop disposal for licensing as well? not sure it would actually make a difference though. i guess it depends on how much of this behavior is due to ignorance vs. laziness.
it's not just trails either, there are some people who walk their dogs in their neighborhood and just let them s**t on playgrounds, sidewalks, other peoples' lawns, etc without cleaning it up, and if you confront them they'll still just refuse to pick it up. some people are just assholes.
seems to be a general trend that people increasingly just don't care about anyone else, just what's easy/convenient for themselves. goes for everything from not cleaning up after your dog, or driving, or treating store employees/waiters/etc rudely, to bigger societal level issues. at least we won't be around as a species for much longer. hopefully the dogs will do ok without us.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Vacas Valley wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:56 pm And after a 1/4 mile, just leave the s**t on the trail? I’m not sure I understand. Or is it anything above a 1/4 mile clean up? Dogs doo a a lot of things, but one thing they don’t doo, is clean up after themselves.
my *assumption* is twofold- 1. (generally speaking) my observation is that dogs get their little zooms and excited poo's out of the way within the first quarter mile of a hike, so it is probably the most poo-dense portion of a hike and therefore requires the most attention, 2. i can only imagine the logistical limitations of someone to monitor a trail probably make sense for a half mile RT

but long story shorter, yes. bags are unsightly and shouldn't be left out. however in my personal (and possibly minority) opinion, i'd rather see those on the trail than piles of unmanaged crap. they are easier for poop fairies like myself to grab on my way out. i'm not here to make excuses for dog owners-- pack out your poop, pack out your dog's poop. human and domesticated canine diets typically consist of preservative-filled food which is not meant to be disposed of in the wild, so it is NOT the same as bears, coyotes, horses, etc etc.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
ajames96
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajames96 »

I have never seen this before until hiking in Colorado,, like is it a tourist thing? I don't see how if you are out in nature and truly respect it you would leave a plastic bag of dog poop on the trail. At that point why bother picking it up at all?
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

ajames96 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:12 am I have never seen this before until hiking in Colorado,, like is it a tourist thing? I don't see how if you are out in nature and truly respect it you would leave a plastic bag of dog poop on the trail. At that point why bother picking it up at all?
If I'm hiking a lollipop or out-and-back I'll bag it, leave it in a noticeable part of the downhill direction of the trail, and then grab on the way back to the car. I don't always want to carry it 10 miles if I'm coming back to the same spot. If I'm passed that point or doing a loop then I pack it with me.

Having a dog requires a lot of responsibility and in my opinion one of those aspects means packing out their s**t. But then again people in my Littleton apartment complex can't even pick it up when there are 15 different bag stations and some only a few feet away with trash cans. ](*,) ... Oh well
JChitwood wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm Outside mag has decided the proper distance for picking up dog waste is 1/4 mile from the trailhead. It’s pretty crazy how many bags I see on the local trails around Castle Rock and Monument.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... ent=170222
Worst place I've seen is the Lost Lake Trail in Nederland. There would be at lest 15-20 bags of poop that people just toss below the TH sign.

Btw, a small hack if there's not a trash can is using your gas tank door to hold the bag or if there's too much I put the loops of the bag (combine into one) and hang it from my rear windshield wiper until I get to the first gas station. Havent lost a bag yet even going on a rough 4wd road
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

[/quote]
If I'm hiking a lollipop or out-and-back I'll bag it, leave it in a noticeable part of the downhill direction of the trail, and then grab on the way back to the car. I don't always want to carry it 10 miles if I'm coming back to the same spot. If I'm passed that point or doing a loop then I pack it with me.

Having a dog requires a lot of responsibility and in my opinion one of those aspects means packing out their s**t. But then again people in my Littleton apartment complex can't even pick it up when there are 15 different bag stations and some only a few feet away with trash cans. ](*,) ... Oh well
[/quote]

No no no! Leaving it on the trail temporarily is just as bad as permanently. Every single person hiking up or back has to see that until you get back. Stick it in your pack or wherever you want, just don't leave it on the trail.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Interesting how there's so many regulations with dog poop even poop for 5 lb little poodle whereas a horse filling the trail with smelly crap and huge volumes of urination all along for miles there's no restrictions...
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:44 pm Interesting how there's so many regulations with dog poop even poop for 5 lb little poodle whereas a horse filling the trail with smelly crap and huge volumes of urination all along for miles there's no restrictions...
That's because equestrian people have money and dog people don't. I see it as the same with cattle ranchers....fence out, not fence in. Hit my cow on a public road and it's my fault for hitting it.

When I lived elsewhere the mtn bikers were not allowed to ride on the multi use trails because we "damaged" it yet the equestrian people were allowed to absolutely trash the trails with giant hoof prints all over.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:44 pm Interesting how there's so many regulations with dog poop even poop for 5 lb little poodle whereas a horse filling the trail with smelly crap and huge volumes of urination all along for miles there's no restrictions...
horse and cattle crap are actually way less biohazardous, and way less bad for the environment vs dog/human poop.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

douglas wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:33 am
kwhit24 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:52 am If I'm hiking a lollipop or out-and-back I'll bag it, leave it in a noticeable part of the downhill direction of the trail, and then grab on the way back to the car. I don't always want to carry it 10 miles if I'm coming back to the same spot. If I'm passed that point or doing a loop then I pack it with me.

No no no! Leaving it on the trail temporarily is just as bad as permanently. Every single person hiking up or back has to see that until you get back. Stick it in your pack or wherever you want, just don't leave it on the trail.
It's not but agree to disagree
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:24 pm
horse and cattle crap are actually way less biohazardous, and way less bad for the environment vs dog/human poop.
But still just as disgusting when you have to scrape it off your shoes.