Kedrowski: 2017 Throwing rocks

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Throwing rocks: Dr Kedrowski

Post by jaymz »

My mother-in-law, whose knowledge of Colorado mountaineering is basically that her son-in-law likes to get out and climb things in Colorado, saw "Sleeping on the Summits" in a store and thought it'd be a nice gift. I graciously accepted it without looking the gift horse in its douchey mouth. It actually has some nice photography and is kind of fun to thumb through if you know nothing about 'Dr. K'; but once you do, every page is tainted and you can just smell the humble brag from cover to cover. I just hate that he got royalties from my family.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I should mention that I did not see the actual video of him tossing the rock, so this rock could have been bouncing uphill and he caught it.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I should mention that I did not see the actual video of him tossing the rock, so this rock could have been bouncing uphill and he caught it.
:lol:
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I should mention that I did not see the actual video of him tossing the rock, so this rock could have been bouncing uphill and he caught it.
Been talking to the attorneys I see....
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Bill, throwing rocks is common in Vail, where Kedrowski and myself hail from––you guys in Breckenridge clearly don't understand that this technique for testing avalanches is why no one ever perishes in the East Vail chutes.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Ha!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

BTW, I wonder if he even skied Pac's N Couloir after the rock incident? His Instagram photo from that day looks to be closer to Pacific's Hawaii Chutes. I could be wrong. :twisted:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (275.37 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Question answered:
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (199.37 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

justiner wrote:It's OK, he's a doctor in Geology. If the rock was injured, we've got a professional on the scene.
My wife's a geologist, AKA a Doctor of Rocks. Our standard joke is that if someone's hurt by a falling rock, she can diagnose the rock.

Also, she doesn't call herself a Dr in public, non-professional settings, because who does that?
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

I'm sorry to say this, but I fricken love Dr. Jon threads.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Lobojasper wrote:I'm sorry to say this, but I fricken love Dr. Jon threads.
Love to hate him? :wink:
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

He certainly is the rebel ski mountaineer. Littering on the summit, claiming mountains as skied without hitting the summit, throwing rocks to test stability. Who partners with this douche?

Ah, he banned me, after I was politely questioning his decisions and said it may be a dangerous thing to do. Gee, can't take any criticism you sheltered pompous a$$?
Last edited by PaliKona on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.