Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

SkaredShtles wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:<snip>

I do believe he called us weekend warriors fat and lazy. I speak for all of us when I say you all are not.
To his credit...

I am.

:mrgreen:

Oh - and to prove it... I shuttled THREE Front Range mt bike trails today. THREE OF THEM. 8)
Got a gopro video to prove it?
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

polar wrote:So the other day I almost climbed a 5.15. Sure, I fell on every single move, and I had to pull the rope to get past a few sections, but the important thing is that I touched the anchor! If I learned anything at summer camp, it counts when you touch the anchor. So yeah, I'm going to call myself a 5.15 climber, just like Chris Sharma and Adam Ondra.

I'm sure none of you weekend warriors can touch the anchor on that thing. If you want to try it, it's the pink route with letter-shaped holds. It's pretty hard, so be ready to cry. I did.

Dr. Polar
Hey, Ondra probably couldn't even comprehend the sheer strength it takes to sidepull on the letter I. And don't even get me started on all the mono moves involved in climbing HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

It's interesting that he keeps coming back to "effort" in various ways. I don't think anyone is discounting the herculean effort even attempting a record like that would take, let alone ALMOST completing it.....
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

these threads and the vitriol spewed from the ski mountaineering community kind of makes me feel bad for the guy. I can't help but feel like the questions that came up by his effort turned into criticism and insults partly from the incessant egotism that exists in the sport. Yes there are standards, yes there are "rules" when claiming to go after a record, but the guy has retracted all of that and admitted now to not chasing a record and admitted to not adhering to the standards for skiing peaks. Wasn't being held accountable for the claims made the whole point? So why keep jumping on the guy's back?

I'd like to at least recognize the feat at hand for skiing that much vert and climbing that many mountains in such a short period of time. Even if he didn't ski from the summit, there aren't many people that can pull off what he actually did.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:<snip>

I do believe he called us weekend warriors fat and lazy. I speak for all of us when I say you all are not.
To his credit...

I am.

:mrgreen:

Oh - and to prove it... I shuttled THREE Front Range mt bike trails today. THREE OF THEM. 8)
Got a gopro video to prove it?
Gopro. Surely you jest?
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

EatinHardtack wrote:Delusional.

I take issue with the condescending comments about fat and lazy weekend warriors. I work very hard, maybe harder than him, at drinking as many beers as possible during the week and then proceed to climb on the weekends. That work regimen and climb schedule is much harder to accomplish than just climbing constantly. I'd like to see Jon suck down a six pack a day then climb afterwards. That my friends is a climber.

LOL. As a self-admitted lightweight who only drinks light beer (in moderate amounts 'cause that's all it takes to get the job done), I am always in awe of the social-to-moderate-to-heavy drinkers at the campfire who can turn around the next morning and crush a peak. I have a hard enough time climbing at optimum health in optimum conditions....
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

semitrueskerm wrote:
EatinHardtack wrote:Delusional.

I take issue with the condescending comments about fat and lazy weekend warriors. I work very hard, maybe harder than him, at drinking as many beers as possible during the week and then proceed to climb on the weekends. That work regimen and climb schedule is much harder to accomplish than just climbing constantly. I'd like to see Jon suck down a six pack a day then climb afterwards. That my friends is a climber.

LOL. As a self-admitted lightweight who only drinks light beer (in moderate amounts 'cause that's all it takes to get the job done), I am always in awe of the social-to-moderate-to-heavy drinkers at the campfire who can turn around the next morning and crush a peak. I have a hard enough time climbing at optimum health in optimum conditions....
There is no better cure for a hangover than tackling the switchbacks up to Missouri Gulch at 4 a.m.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Dr. Propaganda

If he would be transparent about his accomplishments and not a marketing machine... he would get the respect he deserves.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

ajkagy wrote: Yes there are standards, yes there are "rules" when claiming to go after a record, but the guy has retracted all of that and admitted now to not chasing a record and admitted to not adhering to the standards for skiing peaks. Wasn't being held accountable for the claims made the whole point? So why keep jumping on the guy's back?

I'd like to at least recognize the feat at hand for skiing that much vert and climbing that many mountains in such a short period of time. Even if he didn't ski from the summit, there aren't many people that can pull off what he actually did.
The answer is emphatically no. First of all, he is still claiming skiiing "almost" all the 14ers in the shortest amount of time with more effort than anyone else (paraphrasing here). Which is complete BS. As Jason Killgore mentioned earlier, ski gear evolution alone makes this dubious claim pointless. Secondly, there's no prize in skimo in hiking with your ultralight AT setup to the summits and then hiking down. This is not how you put your name on the 14er ski finishers list. You have to be a pretty decent skier, and that's the reason the 14er ski finisher list is so small, and not for the lack of trying. Besides, Jason Ivanic already did in 2004 what JK did this year.

As for the effort, Lou Dawson skied them all in a long period of time on heavy gear, coming back again and again for the clean peak descent. Moneymike skied all but one of them solo, breaking trail on most of them. Carl took several attempts to ski Crestone Needle. Brittany came back for Mt Wilson after Dav raised the bar to ski it from the summit. This is just what I am aware of, and it makes JK point completely mute.

As for fitness, half the towns of Crested Butte and Aspen could accomplish JK's "feat" in no time, if they were not all so darn busy competing in their skimo races like Grand Traverse and the likes.
patternmike
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by patternmike »

On a side note, I was curious when you talk about skiing all the 14er's, are they all possible from the summit down? or are there ones that are commonly accepted that they or parts of are not skiable?
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

JQDivide wrote:Dr. Propaganda

If he would be transparent about his accomplishments and not a marketing machine... he would get the respect he deserves.
+1
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

patternmike wrote:On a side note, I was curious when you talk about skiing all the 14er's, are they all possible from the summit down? or are there ones that are commonly accepted that they or parts of are not skiable?
The only accepted ones where it can be exceedingly difficult or impossible to ski directly off the summit are El Diente, Wetterhorn and Mt Wilson. All others are quite reasonable on normal snow years - in spring - to get a continuous descent from the exact summit block, down for at least 1K feet or more. I skied the summit section of Wetterhorn, and then down climbed the class 3 wall section. Mt Wilson can be skied from the summit proper on a good snow year (not normal years). I have heard El Diente can also be done summit proper, but that's the only one of the 3 I haven't skied yet. I do plan to repeat Mt Wilson one of these days, when the conditions allow.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina