Forum rules
This forum is read-only
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: 2015 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by thebeave7 »

glenmiz wrote:Unless heading north... 11:15am arriving Silverton at 11:45am. That makes more sense.
Yep, Needleton Pickup at 11:15am, just like last year. Can't waste those precious 4h.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

thebeave7 wrote:
glenmiz wrote:Unless heading north... 11:15am arriving Silverton at 11:45am. That makes more sense.
Yep, Needleton Pickup at 11:15am, just like last year. Can't waste those precious 4h.

Eric
so how is he looking time wise? He might have over an hour to rest/re-coup right? maybe get a nap in before the train?
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

ajkagy wrote:
thebeave7 wrote:

Eric
so how is he looking time wise? He might have over an hour to rest/re-coup right? maybe get a nap in before the train?
Last year he arrived at Needleton at 11:09 am, just in time to catch the train at 11:15 am. He's currently 8 minutes ahead of last year's pace, but it will still be a little tight. Can't miss that train!
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
zinj
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

The Needleton station is quite literally the only place on this entire route that Andrew is forced to rest. There's no hurrying the train along. Everywhere else, Andrew pays for whatever rest or reduced pace he engages in. Andrew has already "paid for" his Needleton rest (if any) the moment he picked his start time for the whole attempt. At that moment he defines his overall time for the Chicago Basin 14ers -- he cannot speed it up or slow it down. Everywhere else on the trip Andrew's pace influences his overall time...not here, which is why it's so important for Andrew to pick his start time "correctly".
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

Slightly tangential, will Mr. Middlebrook be replacing the cover photo for the website with Bad Dad's GPS track like last year? I certainly enjoyed that feature.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Is the Delorme page down for anyone else?

Edit: It is working now.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

nsaladin wrote:Is the Delorme page down for anyone else?

I was waiting for someone to freak out :)
Also folks, don't be surprised if we don't see any GPS updates for a little while. That treed canyon is notorious for eating up SPOT/Delorme signals.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

thebeave7 wrote:
nsaladin wrote:Is the Delorme page down for anyone else?

I was waiting for someone to freak out :)
Also folks, don't be surprised if we don't see any GPS updates for a little while. That treed canyon is notorious for eating up SPOT/Delorme signals.

Eric
No, the site was down for me. I have an Inreach Explorer, I know how they can get sometimes, especially down in wooded areas in the valley.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Working but stuck at 8:50am. Maybe signal not good in the valley..
Aim high to end high
Wilderness_hike
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Wilderness_hike »

The never ending F5 battle begins....
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

nsaladin wrote: I have an Inreach Explorer, I know how they can get sometimes, especially down in wooded areas in the valley.
I just got the explorer maybe 2 months ago and I have to say that it's way more reliable than my spot ever was. Love the thing. So far at least for me it's been flawless sending out a tracking signal every 10 min even in thicker trees.
Last edited by ajkagy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

zinj wrote:The Needleton station is quite literally the only place on this entire route that Andrew is forced to rest. There's no hurrying the train along. Everywhere else, Andrew pays for whatever rest or reduced pace he engages in. Andrew has already "paid for" his Needleton rest (if any) the moment he picked his start time for the whole attempt. At that moment he defines his overall time for the Chicago Basin 14ers -- he cannot speed it up or slow it down. Everywhere else on the trip Andrew's pace influences his overall time...not here, which is why it's so important for Andrew to pick his start time "correctly".
Culebra is the other time where a stop is required.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.