This forum is read-only
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: 2014 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by jdorje »

+1 on a complete recovery. Good luck!
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

We need Andrew back! I tried watching soccer, people, but it's so friggin' boring that I was ready to pull my hair out. If they would just make it a contact sport, maybe I could stay awake. I can't wait for the NFL and NHL.

Anyway, I hope Andrew is healing but working on his computer to optimize his next attempt.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:We need Andrew back! I tried watching soccer, people, but it's so friggin' boring that I was ready to pull my hair out. If they would just make it a contact sport, maybe I could stay awake. I can't wait for the NFL and NHL.

Anyway, I hope Andrew is healing but working on his computer to optimize his next attempt.
Reminds me of a funny quote I just saw about soccer......."If I wanted to spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of guys so desperate to score, I'd just go to the bar".........so true ! Watching soccer is like watching the grass grow.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

mtgirl wrote:Reminds me of a funny quote I just saw about soccer......."If I wanted to spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of guys so desperate to score, I'd just go to the bar".........so true !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you! I've been looking for a line like that regarding soccer for decades. Now I have one!
BillMiddlebrook wrote:I tried watching soccer, people, but it's so friggin' boring .... I can't wait for the NFL and NHL.
+10!

And to keep this on track, get well, Andrew.

R
mkrier
14ers: 58 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Yes, because 80+ games every season of NHL, NBA & MLB (160) is so much more thrilling than your country down by 1 in a WC game that happens every four years in stoppage time.

I'll concede that the MLS is quite miserable to watch (really any soccer that isn't top-tier), but don't understand how you can't get excited for your team against Belgium there, especially with that intense of a game.

Sorry for derailing. Andrew you're the man!
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

mtgirl wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:We need Andrew back! I tried watching soccer, people, but it's so friggin' boring that I was ready to pull my hair out. If they would just make it a contact sport, maybe I could stay awake. I can't wait for the NFL and NHL.

Reminds me of a funny quote I just saw about soccer......."If I wanted to spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of guys so desperate to score, I'd just go to the bar".........so true ! Watching soccer is like watching the grass grow.
My favorite World Cup quote was "In the rest of the world they call it football, in this country we call it a complete f**king waste of time." We have to put up with this only because so many countries can't afford helmets, shoulder pads, hip pads, etc.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

Tortoise1 wrote:
mtgirl wrote:

My favorite World Cup quote was "In the rest of the world they call it football, in this country we call it a complete f**king waste of time." We have to put up with this only because so many countries can't afford helmets, shoulder pads, hip pads, etc.
So wrong. But climbing is much more fun. And, more importantly, sad Bad Dad got got hurt!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Just to give a perspective on Andrew... We saw him take off on his 44th of 45 peaks (Holy Cross) at the TH. We welcomed him back 5.5 hours later. That's after a 44 peak history of the last several days, a very painful leg injury, and little sleep. We also saw 2 other guys return that morning after climbing HolyCross with times at about 5:40. (Um, we did the roundtrip in about 10 hours - w/ hr on the summit). Was unbelievable to see that kind of time by a man who looked like the walking dead.
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Just an FYI, I have Andrews satellite tracker (so no it's not him), Kim and I took the kiddos with a few friends and are doing Mt Rainier:) weather is suppose to be amazing. Can't wait to get out there. Follow us if you want!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

That's going to be a heck of an adventure if you're starting from Chautauqua :)
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hello everyone. I just wanted to post this before Brett gets going on his attempt, which I am very excited to see! In case you are desperately waiting for updates on Brett's location, and need some additional 14er reading, then here is a link: http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/?page_id=584 to the story about my attempt this year. Somehow, what was supposed to be a trip report took forever to write, and is almost 100 pages long! However, I'm still not quite finished, but will finish it up as soon as I can and try to add some pictures.

It has taken awhile to get better but I am almost completely healed up. The injury that ended up finishing me off still hurts a little bit but I don't see it causing me much trouble any more, in fact tomorrow I am heading out with the kids on a desperate attempt to complete Calvin's last 4 14ers to finish off his second cycle of 14ers, before his birthday on the 25th.

I just wanted to thank everybody who helped me out on my record attempt. Obviously my crew was critical, and nothing would have happened without them. But many other people helped me out and I really appreciate everything that was done to help me out. So thanks to San Juan Ron, John Prater, Ryan Marsters (Monster5), Steve Cummins, CaveDog, Wes Thurman, Stefan Griebel, Charlie Nuttleman, GreenOnion, David Keopke, Laura Hamilton, Will Robnett, Beak and Betsy, random hikers who gave me fireball whiskey, and everyone who showed up at trailheads to cheer me on. I apologize for anyone I missed!

Also thanks to everyone who followed on the website and who contributed to this thread. It was exciting to hear what people were posting while I was hiking and it was an immense source of motivation to do my best. Even my wife got excited about it! I really don't remember our relationship being this good in a very long time (of course I am sure that has a lot to do with medical school...) Somehow, despite failing to reach the goal, it was a great experience that I will never forget.

Thanks!
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

it's only 9 pages long on my computer. :-D I happened to have a few spare hours today so I read everything to day 9 where you stopped, I suppose day 10 might take some time to write. Once I started reading I couldn't stop, so your writing style must be fluid enough. One thing I like is you don't go off on any long tangents like some writers do, you have enough material sticking to the story. Good work, I will be looking for day 10.

I'm sure your report will be quite valuable to anyone else attempting the record.