Forum rules
This forum is read-only
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 2014 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by MTGOAT72 »

Loved the "Capitol Punishment" piece. Amazing feat to say the least. Truly a warrior out there, so you gotta love it. Great insperation for us all. Well done! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
kgmo
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kgmo »

JQDivide wrote:Just a note on compartment syndrome... recently a reporter for PBS had his arm amputated because of it after a simple injury.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew, Glad you are home safe. What an amazing effort.
Wise to call it off. Hopefully you'll try it again.
Thanks for the inspiration.

JQ
I've been glued to the GPS tracking all week, and I was so sad to see it end early. But I couldn't agree with this more. We can push our bodies so much further than they want to go, but at the end of the day, we are mortal. What is vastly more important than any record is our own health. I was happy to see Andrew make the right choice and listen to his body saying it was time to stop. It was an amazing feat, and incredibly inspirational. Here is hoping you heal fast Andrew, and can enjoy the rest of the summer playing in the hills with your family.
Failure is never as frightening as regret.
Harvester
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harvester »

Thank you Andrew Hamilton, that was spectacularly inspirational and flat out amazing. Thanks to you and your crew for letting us watch. Well done! =D>
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Andrew & Team Bad Dad -
Absolutely awesome effort!!! Congratulations! You guys were all as tough as nails. You're definitely an inspiration to the rest of us.

Oh, btw, I heard there's a hot tub at the top of Democrat... j/k

Get well and hope to see you on the trail soon.

Tom
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Really enjoyed Stefan's blog on the peaks he shared with Andrew in the Elks. Wow, what determination and friendship. Thank you for sharing it with us. Fantastic read !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

jlsims83 wrote: It took ten hours most of which was sleep for the conversation about not if but when he can go out and try it again. So if you think the record is safe trust me I know of three people who are in the planning stages right now. I think the next year will be full of action and drama.
:YY
This really excites me.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

I don't have any adjectives that haven't already been used to describe the past 10 days.

I believe Andrew's journey was 80% mental. We can often push the body far beyond what we think it's capable of, but for most of us our minds do not allow us to get there. In Andrews case (and a small percentage of humans on the planet), he can get beyond the mental anguish of such an adventure and test the true limits of human physical endurance. It was exciting to watch. Never was I so concerned by dots on a map every 10 minutes.

A job well done to Andrew, his crew, all those who've attempted this in the past, and those who will attempt in the future. I can't wait till the next attempt.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I have nothing more to add that hasnt been said already about what a badass this dude is.

But i did want to announce that I have a huge man crush on Bad Dad!
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

I must say this was a truly amazing feat, thank you for the week of non-stop entertainment. I will admit I did not think it was going to go as smoothly as it did, given all the snow on the peaks. But there you were, blasting through them. :o And I will also admit, when word of the injury arrived, I thought it was over. But no, you got up again and finished the Bells, Holy Cross, and Sherman. =D> Really amazing stuff.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hello everyone! So I just sat down at the computer for the first time since starting the record attempt. I haven't had a chance to read through anything yet, however I just wanted to say thanks for all of the support you offered during the record attempt. When people would show up to hike with me they would keep me updated on comments they found interesting, and it was both entertaining and motivating for me!

I am sorry I had to call it quits early, but even though I failed to achieve my goal, it was still such a great adventure that I am very excited to tell the tale. It will take awhile to get caught up on everything, but I'll let you know when parts of the story are ready in case you are interested in reading about it.

Once again thanks to everyone, I really appreciate all of the support from the 14ers.com community!
pudgy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pudgy »

Andrew,
Thanks for taking us all along on the attempt, it was a fascinating and fun ride sitting in front of a computer while you were suffering out there. I have trouble comprehending how the human mind, body and spirit combine to help people overcome such incredible odds to pursue these ventures. I'll have you in mind in late July when I have to re-climb out of East Cross Creek after summiting Holy Cross. Hey, one step at a time, right?
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

This has been a joy to watch, and I am thankful to all involved for sharing it, especially Andrew and his team. Here's to a lot of sleep and healing, and good food (eat your veggies, kids!) and eventually, more training, 'cause apparently that's what makes you guys happy!

Looking forward to reading the whole story. What a trip!

-Susan