Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Jim Davies
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (5)

Re: guns

Post by Jim Davies »

luckylabgirl wrote:I don't know if anyone remember's the story of Jacine Gielinski from 1997
I remember it quite well, but it's kind of a non-sequitur to bring up an urban murder in this context. Although the two scumbags did try to attack a jogger first, I guess...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
grizz
14ers: List not added

Post by grizz »

I guess for us we just always figured that climbing attracted the manly man. Those can of men or women would never be that afraid of a 50-70lb mountain lion. That are rarely seen or attack people.

Oh come on!! Be realistic!! It's now more apparent than ever that climbing attracts ALL kinds of people?? You have now proven that, without a doubt. Do some reaseach on mountain lions. 6'5" 195lbs nothing for a mountain lion. These cats drag hundreds of pounds for hundreds of yards with their mouth. They can jump 20 + feet into a tree from a stand still. 50-70 pounds....that is a small mountain lion, which could take you down no problem. Large male cats can reach 120 pounds. Do some reasearch and get back to us.
Kruck
14ers: 7
13ers: 9

Post by Kruck »

It doesn't matter how big they are. They don't eat people.
(and I already know, yes there have been some cases. But then there was Jeff Dahmer (sp?), too)
No reason consider firing on a lion unless you have a tag and are looking for a mount.
Neil
14ers: 41
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

So, just so I have this straight:

Mountain lions are renowned for their stealth. They can stalk human pray for hours without notice, even to the point of someone seeing one in a PICTURE that they didn't see on the trail. They can jump 20+ feet and are considered one of the most efficient predators in the CO wild. Yet, by carrying a gun, you are supposed to have enough time to unzip a jacket - or even open a backpack - unholster it (in a paniced rush), turn off the safety, aim, and accurately (in a paniced rush) squeeze off enough shots to deter/kill an angry cat?

Ok. That makes sense. My money is on the cat in 100% of the situations. Now why carry a gun? Those pesky CO grizzlies? :D
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58
13ers: 154 3
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Exactly what I was going to post. The chances of even seeing a lion are remote let alone actually being attacked. The chances of being able to shoot the lion IF you saw one and IF it attacked you are even smaller.

If this was grizzly country I'd have a different view but in Colorado it's essentially useless weight. If you are a single female hiking alone then it that case I might say that carrying would make some measure of sense but that has nothing to do with the animals...in that case we'd be talking about the humans.

Maybe people are trying to protect their food from those pesky marmots.
fleetmack
14ers: 39
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

panicneil wrote:you are supposed to have enough time to unzip a jacket - or even open a backpack - unholster it (in a paniced rush), turn off the safety, aim, and accurately (in a paniced rush) squeeze off enough shots to deter/kill an angry cat?
on the hip, and glocks don't have a safety (although it is a "triple safety" it really isn't one at all as it's built into the trigger) ... don't take long to draw and pull a trigger
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

grizz wrote:Oh come on!! Be realistic!!
Heh, heh... "Realistic". Heh. There's nothing realistic about carrying a gun because you're afraid of mountain lions.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
srlimoges
14ers: 9

Re: Need for a hand gun or any Gun?

Post by srlimoges »

grizz wrote:
PabloEscabar wrote:Was just reading the topic about Animal related hazards at this time of year! While I was reading the reponses I very suprised to see that so many of you carry GUNS when climbing 14er's. I was just wondering what size (how tall and how many lbs ) you guys that are carrying the GUNS are? Do you all hike solo? Where would you carry a hand GUN or any GUN that you would be able to grab for it, aim, and hit something fast enough? Do you wear it on a belt holster?
To make a long post short. Obviously you don't understand much about guns or why a person would carry a gun on the trail and that's your right. It's my right to understand how and why a person would carry a gun on the trail if that is what I choose to do. My body size, location of gun and how good I use my gun is of no concern to you. The only thing you should be concerned about is that I'm within this states gun law, which I am, so don't worry about MY life's decisions.
It is my concern whether you are safely carrying your gun, have experience using a gun, or have intentions of using the gun for other than self-defensive purposes.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58
13ers: 154 3
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Jim Davies wrote: Heh, heh... "Realistic". Heh. There's nothing realistic about carrying a gun because you're afraid of mountain lions.
I think the word you're looking for is 'paranoid'.
grizz

Post by grizz »

Ok. That makes sense. My money is on the cat in 100% of the situations. Now why carry a gun? Those pesky CO grizzlies?
The same reason you don't carry a gun. Matter of choice. Same reason you don't hike in the same brand of shoes as all your friends. Matter of choice. No one is trying to get you to carry a gun. Relax! Your not changing our minds. Save your energy for the hike. Our life choices are of no concern to you.
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Jon Frohlich wrote:I think the word you're looking for is 'paranoid'.
Ding!

I wonder which would save more lives, if everybody carried a gun while climbing, or wore a helmet? I'd bet on the helmet. How many people get seriously injured or killed by animals or other people in the Colorado backcountry each year? Two?
grizz

Post by grizz »

Heh, heh... "Realistic". Heh. There's nothing realistic about carrying a gun because you're afraid of mountain lions.

"Realistic" I was refering to the size discription PE gave on the mountain lion. Just plan wrong.